IGNORED

Question for Hammer4reel

Lunatic

Im using mostly Black Diamond harnesses,

The models I have are Alpine Bod. Bod, and Coulor.

The Alpine Bod in a little lighter than the Bod And I like it the best.

I use whats called a rabbit runner as my tether to the tree. There is a good maker on Ebay.

Its 1" tubular nylon, and it hands away better than the rope tethers do IMO.

The guy on ebay sells 42" as a standard size, I hade him make me 48" and like it better.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

27 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Interesting you posted this - about 3 weeks ago I bought rabbit runners from that guy (ZIP, his username is "candsgear") on EBay (we'd had talked about this last year, and I remembered this guy being mentioned from that old thread).

I emailed the guy a month ago and we went back and forth over email - I explained to him what I wanted, and he came back with some thoughts and what he can make. In the end I got several black rabbit runners from him, each of different lengths because I wanted a different length depending on the height of where the safety rope is above me and the seat where I'm sitting.

If you want, tell him you are thinking about the same things "mazzgolf" talked to him about a couple weeks ago :) He'll probably remember me. I told him why I'm switching to a climbing harness and he was confused why all our hunting harnesses attach behind our necks :)  

Anyway, I highly recommend moving away from hunting harnesses and to a climbing harness for safety reasons. But if you don't believe me, go practice hanging in your hunting harness - climb up just a foot or two (enough so you can hang free, but close enough that you can recover quickly) and see how it feels around your legs. :eek: Just me personally, I couldn't do it for more than 2 minutes without the  pain quickly becoming unbearable. I don't know what I'd do if I was really hanging after a fall. The alternative would be carry a knife within reach - if you fall, hope you can reach it and quickly cut the straps and then hope you can climb back in your stand or navigate the 15 or 20' fall.

Seriously - practice fall/fall recovery and make sure your harness won't cause more harm than good. I was very surprised when I did this - as soon as I did, I went out and bought one of those black diamond bod climbing harnesses, too (this one). I don't even have my old $100 HSS harness anymore that I bought a few years ago - I got rid of it because I simply won't wear it. Bought that $50 climbing harness and it is much better.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:05 AM, gobblergetter said:

One thing you may want to consider, once you get a harness is a tree stand wingman fall arrest system.

Bought one at the Harrisburg show and love it... Total confidence in it.

http://treestandwingman.com/

This is nice - having something like this is the only thing that would allow me to go back and wear a hunting safety harness - using one of these "slow drop" recovery systems means you won't be hanging for more than a few seconds anyway.

@Lunatic - one thing to remember when you go to purchase any of these climbing harnesses - measure your waist size with the hunting clothes you plan to wear and buy the size according to that. If you plan on wearing the harness outside of all your winter outerwear (over even your parka and bibs, for example) you'll probably want to go larger than normal.

I'm usually a medium in most clothes I buy (it is rare I buy large in anything) - but I bought a black diamond in size *XL* and it fits fine :shock:  All those heavy cold-weather cloths and it swells your waist size :) 

Plus, think about it - there aren't many 250-pound rock climbers out there :) so what they consider a L or XL is probably a M in hunting clothing. That's just my impression as to how they size climbing harnesses, but when I got this XL harness, I was surprised I wasn't swimming in it - I can put it over just regular pants and it would still probably work fine