IGNORED

Stricter Fluke Limits Possible in 2017

BowhunterNJ

I was at the meeting also last week and I like your #6 option Dan. If the so called experts were so smart maybe we wouldn't be is this mess now. I do not believe the sky is falling as far as fluke numbers are concerned, but I do know that we need actual science based on facts to make these decisions before they ruin the livelihoods of many with their flawed science.

I was at the meeting also last week and I like your #6 option Dan. If the so called experts were so smart maybe we wouldn't be is this mess now. I do not believe the sky is falling as far as fluke numbers are concerned, but I do know that we need actual science based on facts to make these decisions before they ruin the livelihoods of many with their flawed science.

Hopefully enough guys send it public comments that are to be reviewed before they finalize the decision in March

comments are to be sent to

krootes-murdy@asmfc.org

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I agree with the slot fishing...seems pretty reasonable.  We're looking for table fare and those 16-19" fish are perfect for that (and there's plenty of them).  Instead, we wind up seeking out and keeping the largest ones continually year after year.

If I read your reply correctly, are the larger fluke mostly all female?

I agree with the slot fishing...seems pretty reasonable.  We're looking for table fare and those 16-19" fish are perfect for that (and there's plenty of them).  Instead, we wind up seeking out and keeping the largest ones continually year after year.

If I read your reply correctly, are the larger fluke mostly all female?

all the sexting studies seem to agree that 95% of the fluke over 18'"are females.

They are trying to raise the limit to 19" to allow another year of reproduction.

But its proven that the smaller females have about 400K eggs. where the larger females have over 4 million.

we need to stop taking the best of our broodstock away, while being charged with fish mortality on many of our throw backs trying to catch those larger keepers.

if you look at page 7 of the attachment I posted you will see the upward climb of fluke numbers till 2005 when they started increasing the size limit.

18" fish and larger size limits have done nothing for recruitment .

their own charts show best replentishment of the stocks having a limit under 18"

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...

One only has to look at The Whiting being sold in the markets  :rant: I see 6" skinny fish the size of Smelts. why did this get to this point? 

So many species of fish have gone down the tubes and it is sure not the Recreational Fishery. It was ones blamed on the Russian Factory ships. So after commercial protesting, they were stolen our fish the fix was US boats would catch the fish and transfer to the Russians :eek:     The long liners that when they catch undersized protected fish just throw them back DEAD :headscratch:   There are so many maddening stories. Many fish run in cycles but add that to commercial overharvesting The Recreational Guys suffer.

one has not too far to look than The Winter Flounder almost gone. Cape cod boats closed down Quincy Mass. Recreational crapped out Nj who bothers with a 2 fish limit and price of bait. Most is now imported and tastes like S__t  Stripers A success story in some areas but still many complain,   

My fishing days now are confined to The Beaches and Monmouth County Shorelines Still go Clamming no Crabbing and 99% are catch and release fish. Fresh Water Trout - Bass again may keep a hold over here and there but 99% are released.

Ever see those tons of commercial Fluke in the local Markets not likely since  Exported get a Higher Price.  

In the end it is Mother Nature that ahs the Last word,   

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

• 1 month later...