IGNORED

Euro nymphing - anyone adept at it here?

madeinuk

I am looking to learn how to be a better nymph fisherman this year.  Can anyone recommend any guides in NJ/PA to learn this from?  Also, would appreciate any tips, methods and fly suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

This guy guides and has a lot of good articles.  https://troutbitten.com

Jerry at South Branch Outfitters (Shannon’s) in Califon guides and does euro nymph.    

As far as tackle goes, I’d start with a 10’ or longer 2 or 3 weight euro nymph rod.    For a reel, make sure it has a full cage or you risk the thin fly line or mono rig slipping between the spool and reel frame which is a hassle. 

I’m in Clinton and would be happy to show you the equipment, rigging and flies.  

If you have any interest in a Syndicate P2 10’ 2 weight, I have one that was only used a few times that I’d give you a good deal on.  

Watch some videos n go out.    If u see a few guys on the water catching fish.    Watch them a bit.   It was actually surprisingly easy to pick up. It’s very effective in the right water 

Everyone has a slightly different style and formula they are all hybrids and I think that is the most effective as every situation changes slightly 

watch some of josh millers videos

tons of videos on YouTube 

Tenkora with just a rod and line is similar. Keep rod high flip line up stream and floats down across in front you keep  slack out .when it stops or comes to surface, pick up and do it again. Heavy nymph keep it on bottom, as long as you can. You got to get weight right on nymph is hardest part. It works well . 

Drop shot lead is cheaper than tungsten heads

tenkara with a short leader teaches u euro faster I think as you’d stuck with the line in the rod.  

I think in the beginning that was my biggest mistake always trying to use to watch line.   You’ll get better in time and can use more.   At first limit yourself to one rod length or less

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2024 at 9:00 AM, gregtpal said:

I sometimes fish weighted nymphs upstream & keep the slack out with a 1 handed retrieve as the nymph drifts back towards me.  Is that euro style?

Indeed it is; I believe that is euro nymphing ala Frendch/Spanish style.  I prefer the Czech style most cuz calls for fishing closer to your flies, but hey- whatever works!!