IGNORED

AR 15 Build- School me

tcook8296

So I figured I would build my own AR 15 but have never done it before. It seems there are many parts and I have no idea what to buy to finish this build. I dont want to break the bank but I dont want to buy junk either. I bought the lower parts kit, no idea how to assemble.I know I need a trigger , a barrel a buffer tube. What else do I need and and where to buy. I should have just bought one fully assembled. It would be fun they said lol. Any tips or recommendations thanks in advance. 

This is what I have so far

20240217_163829.thumb.jpg.e2975bfb6e6c77c91c43d6c48bdba3c6.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

I bought an assembled upper and a parts kit.   Forget who I bought the lower from but I think it was a stag.   Found assembly instructions online and built it at the kitchen table while my daughter did her homework.   Since you built your own house I am sure you can whip thru it. 

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

There was a book out years ago by ZEDEKER. Don't know if it's still in print or around. Unfortunately, he just passed away and many considered him as one of the AR gurus. I had a copy lent it out and never got it back. Don't remember to whom. Real good book. Gave you a ton of info, but also the why and wherefore. The book was quite old and probably one of the first on AR's but timeless nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Jcol6268 said:

YouTube is your friend. It gets fun. Build a lower and buy an assembled upper. 

I have to agree with the upper. There is a TON of uppers out there to choose from. It's a pain in the butt when you have to start fiddling with and aligning the gas blocks barrel nuts and hand guards etc etc. Lots of good uppers to be had. I would rather work on the lower and put good quality into your fire control group aka springs, trigger and the such.

Should be a trigger in that lower parts kits. As said... YouTube is great. Go online right now and buy a spare parts kit specifically the ones that contain the springs. You will lose them, they will go flying.  Lol. 

I'd return that stock and get a fixed Magpul as that one you will have to pin to the buffer tube. 

I don't build uppers, I buy them online. Shipped to the house. and have compliance work done(Cheyenne will do it).  

If you can find an upper with a plain sport barrel. Get that. No need for a comp/brake. You shoot big guns. You don't need something to tame the Almighty recoil of the 5.56.  Lol. 

ARs are Legos for us boys. Enjoy it. Have fun.  Add electrical tape around parts you will be installing so you don't scratch the metal but if you do no biggie... that's what rattle can spray camo jobs are for. Lol. 

50 minutes ago, 308federal said:

I have to agree with the upper. There is a TON of uppers out there to choose from. It's a pain in the butt when you have to start fiddling with and aligning the gas blocks barrel nuts and hand guards etc etc. Lots of good uppers to be had. I would rather work on the lower and put good quality into your fire control group aka springs, trigger and the such.

is my lower parts kit not good?

What should I be looking for as far as a quality trigger. This is all chinese to me lol.

What size barrel?

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

46 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Should be a trigger in that lower parts kits. As said... YouTube is great. Go online right now and buy a spare parts kit specifically the ones that contain the springs. You will lose them, they will go flying.  Lol. 

I'd return that stock and get a fixed Magpul as that one you will have to pin to the buffer tube. 

I don't build uppers, I buy them online. Shipped to the house. and have compliance work done(Cheyenne will do it).  

If you can find an upper with a plain sport barrel. Get that. No need for a comp/brake. You shoot big guns. You don't need something to tame the Almighty recoil of the 5.56.  Lol. 

ARs are Legos for us boys. Enjoy it. Have fun.  Add electrical tape around parts you will be installing so you don't scratch the metal but if you do no biggie... that's what rattle can spray camo jobs are for. Lol. 

I didnt buy the trigger yet.

www.liftxrentals.com

You can buy complete lower and uppers if you wanted to (buying a complete upper is more ideal) the lower is easy to build  

Instead of getting that stock permanently pinned, Strike Industries sells a stock stop that you put in place to make it compliant. Don’t have to ruin anything with permanent pins. 

Buffers, I’ve like the VLTOR A5 with a radian ambidextrous charging handle. 

Geissele, LaRue, CMC, all pretty good triggers. That’s a personal preference on what you like (flat, round, single/double stage)

For the upper, I’m a big fan of BCM. A complete upper from BCM is a lot easier than messing with gas blocks. They won’t break the bank completely ($6-900) but they are some quality stuff. Unless you wanted to build an other, 16” barrel. The others are nice but not something I’d do for a first build. Make sure you get an M-Loc upper. It’s a lot lighter than the outdated Picatinny rail system and the key-mod systems just dumb.

PSA sells a complete lower kit that’s honestly not bad. Comes with everything you’d need and YouTube will be your friend putting it together.

LOL. You are entering into a world of infinite possibilities. Don't be in a hurry. Do some exploration and even try some different setups if any of your buds have them.

Barrel length will be a personal choice as far as applications, weight, etc.

We have just been speaking about an AR build. Ton of calibers to look at too. Just remember if you stay in the 223/556 genre then be cognizant of the fact that 556 will take either 223 OR 556 but 223 will ONLY take 223. Look into the 223 Wylde chamber. Nifty chamber that will take either too, and I have found it to be pretty accurate. Just remember, you will not find any 223 wylde ammo "cuz 223 wydle is chamber.

You are doing the right thing, asking a lot of questions but do not be dismayed nor intimidated. Lots out there to keep you entertained and enlightened. Just so so much there from different types of barrels, calibers, weights, lengths etc

Different types of triggers, competition, flat, two stage, drop ins.

Different sights too.

So much more info and intel then you can write about.

Just remember: TO INFINITELY AND BEYOND!

I think you would prefer a 20 inch barrel upper rather than 16 inch especially if you will be using the open sights.  A heavy or bull barrel isn't desirable for field use due to its weight.  

A flat top upper gives you options, and retaining a standard front sight would be my preference.   Fold-down rear ghost ring style sights are available that don't incorperate the carry handle.

A chrome lined barrel would be a good choice.  It became the standard for war due to the humid conditions in southeast asia.

Built mine from scratch. It was fun gathering all ya want and how you want to build it.  Gotta decide on its purpose.

Couple sites I used for the build instructions, they lay it all out for ya. Pew Pew Tactical and Midwest

I went with a white oaks armory barrel for my hunting upper build. Bought a aero preassembled upper for play. 

Giessele trigger, tool craft bolt and d&h magazines.