IGNORED

Food Plots

Gman

Loving the discussion on food plot strategies in this topic…..I wanted to share a perspective that might be a bit unconventional but has proven successful for me. When it comes to food plots, I believe in embracing variety and diversity to create a dynamic ecosystem that benefits both the soil and the wildlife.

Blend Dynamics:

Contrary to the common notion of avoiding highly diverse seed mixes, I find that strategically combining forage species can enhance the overall health of the plot. It's not just about throwing together a bunch of seeds; it's about understanding the synergy between different plants. By adjusting the percentages based on soil testing and experience, we can ensure that each variety complements the others, creating a mutually beneficial environment.

Deer as Selective Browsers:

Understanding deer behavior is crucial. Unlike species that graze uniformly, deer are selective browsers. Their preferences can vary individually and seasonally, two deer can be feeding side by side in the same plot, but each is selectively choosing different species to forage on based off of individual needs. By acknowledging and catering to these preferences, we can create plots that cater to the specific needs of the deer population on our properties.

Soil Health vs. Deer Feeding:

In a departure from the conventional mindset, I use my warm-season plots not with the goal of feeding deer, but more so to improve soil health so my fall plots can be more productive. My strategy involves cycling nutrients into the soil during spring and summer. This, in turn, sets the stage for a flourishing fall blend that maximizes attractiveness during the prime hunting season.

The One-Two Approach:

Considering the constraints of acreage, time, and budget, I adopt a one-two approach. Spring and summer are dedicated to nurturing soil health, while fall is about providing highly attractive forages. For those with the means, incorporating a comprehensive system that caters to year-round deer needs is ideal. But let's face it – our primary goal is to enhance our hunting experience, and this strategy has proven effective in achieving that.

Remember, every property is unique, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Tier1habitat@gmail.com

www.tier1habitat.com

electric10162 - I'm a huge fan of the Cuddelink system !!  How are you liking them ?   

The concept is absolutely phenomenal, however the cameras themselves are lacking in some areas....Fortunately in the new "L" series they have addressed several of the issues with there previous models..    

I currently run a 17 camera system at our place in NY, and without their technology, I would only be able to cover about 25% of our property with cellular cams....As there is absolutely zero cell service on the other 75% of our ground...I've been running them for about 4 years, with zero complaints !!

Tier1habitat@gmail.com

www.tier1habitat.com

1 hour ago, Tier1 said:

electric10162 - I'm a huge fan of the Cuddelink system !!  How are you liking them ?   

The concept is absolutely phenomenal, however the cameras themselves are lacking in some areas....Fortunately in the new "L" series they have addressed several of the issues with there previous models..    

I currently run a 17 camera system at our place in NY, and without their technology, I would only be able to cover about 25% of our property with cellular cams....As there is absolutely zero cell service on the other 75% of our ground...I've been running them for about 4 years, with zero complaints !!

Other than crazy battery usage I love the Cuddelinks. I just added a new home camera with the new L technology. Battery life seems way better.

5 hours ago, Tier1 said:

Loving the discussion on food plot strategies in this topic…..I wanted to share a perspective that might be a bit unconventional but has proven successful for me. When it comes to food plots, I believe in embracing variety and diversity to create a dynamic ecosystem that benefits both the soil and the wildlife.

Blend Dynamics:

Contrary to the common notion of avoiding highly diverse seed mixes, I find that strategically combining forage species can enhance the overall health of the plot. It's not just about throwing together a bunch of seeds; it's about understanding the synergy between different plants. By adjusting the percentages based on soil testing and experience, we can ensure that each variety complements the others, creating a mutually beneficial environment.

Deer as Selective Browsers:

Understanding deer behavior is crucial. Unlike species that graze uniformly, deer are selective browsers. Their preferences can vary individually and seasonally, two deer can be feeding side by side in the same plot, but each is selectively choosing different species to forage on based off of individual needs. By acknowledging and catering to these preferences, we can create plots that cater to the specific needs of the deer population on our properties.

Soil Health vs. Deer Feeding:

In a departure from the conventional mindset, I use my warm-season plots not with the goal of feeding deer, but more so to improve soil health so my fall plots can be more productive. My strategy involves cycling nutrients into the soil during spring and summer. This, in turn, sets the stage for a flourishing fall blend that maximizes attractiveness during the prime hunting season.

The One-Two Approach:

Considering the constraints of acreage, time, and budget, I adopt a one-two approach. Spring and summer are dedicated to nurturing soil health, while fall is about providing highly attractive forages. For those with the means, incorporating a comprehensive system that caters to year-round deer needs is ideal. But let's face it – our primary goal is to enhance our hunting experience, and this strategy has proven effective in achieving that.

Remember, every property is unique, and there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

do you recommend doing a micro food plot is it effective or does it just get destroyed to fast

1 minute ago, Turkeyslayer said:

do you recommend doing a micro food plot is it effective or does it just get destroyed to fast

Absolutely, micro plots, or however you prefer to call them—kill plots, hunting plots, hidey hole plots—are indeed powerful tools for shaping predictable movement and enhancing hunting opportunities. However, the effectiveness of these plots, regardless of their size, is influenced by a multitude of factors.

The key determinants include the location of the plot, sunlight exposure, soil type, and overall soil health. Additionally, factors such as the size of the plot, the browse tolerance of the planted species, cover around the plot, the availability of other browse nearby, and the deer density in the area all play critical roles in the success of the plot. It's essential to recognize that as the size of the plot decreases, the impact of these factors becomes more pronounced, potentially affecting the overall forage production.

Consider a 25% reduction in forage due to various reasons; this reduction can significantly impact a smaller plot compared to a larger one. Often, there's a tendency to cut corners when establishing a small plot, with some thinking that the size diminishes its importance. However, paying attention to detail and ensuring meticulous execution will make all the difference in determining whether that plot becomes successful or not.

In the realm of micro plots, precision and thoroughness matter—a small oversight can have a more significant impact. So, whether you're working with a small or large plot, giving careful consideration to each factor and implementing best practices will ultimately contribute to the success of your plot. If you have any specific questions or need advice on setting up micro plots, feel free to ask!

Tier1habitat@gmail.com

www.tier1habitat.com

5 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

What stands out to me most is when you said it’s fairly open. If it doesn’t get enough sun, you will struggle. I’ll leave it there as it’s way to open ended and situational to go into specifics. I’ve been doing it for years now. In zone 2. And in the timber. Hard work is the only way. 

^^^^^^^^.   This guy knows his shit when it comes to food plots . Helped me out a bunch .  No cutting corners when it comes to successful food plots . Learned that the hard way .

17 hours ago, Turkeyslayer said:

My yard is by far not a planned food plot or Micro- My back yard has a a mix of Lawn seeds so when one is in trouble others are not&  Seeding is done with airrating and just Brood  casting Spring Fall and over Snow, I have groups of deer from Oct to April + Posted are some I use and some are for my hedge row.The last  2 just broadcast  & not in my lawn proper. I used them as winter cover when I had a 20 X 40 Veg, Garden long gone for obvious reasons 

DSC_0004.JPG

71I5+E4pKxL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61uy6rfTpeL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

71-qv+5ooDL._AC_UL320_.jpg

81nhhKa8bQL._SL1500_.jpg

91wm9h9pqeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

A couple of plots that I've done for folks in the past...

The first one was a pollinator mix that I had put together, that was a real fun project to work on, as I don't get a chance to do those all that often. 

The next two were stand alone brassica and clover plots, I  prefer highly diverse blends as they are far more beneficial over mono-culture plantings, but sometimes you do what ya gotta do.  

The last three, are of experimental test plots that I put in on our ground in NY, as I was toying with some new ideas and tweaking some planting methods. This is an awesome fall blend with 16 different forages. No doubt my favorite and go to fall blend to use.  By using light minimal tillage techniques, cycling nutrients from the summer blend, and focusing on soil heath.  This plot had fertilization amounts cut in half in 2022 and no additional fertilization added in 2023.  A highly attractive plot yealding a ton of forage, with a savings in cost and time...A win, win in my book!!

20230719_120219.jpg

20200904_180950.jpg

20200802_191228.jpg

20230919_111509 (2).jpg

20230919_111907 (2).jpg

20230919_111535.jpg

Tier1habitat@gmail.com

www.tier1habitat.com