IGNORED

flintlock for squirrel?

mazzgolf

Anyone here go out for squirrel in the "squirrel muzzy areas" with a flintlock?  I don't know of a single person who does.

Since I'm sitting home with the flu for the past week losing out on all the final days of waterfowl :(  I'm left daydreaming....  I'm continuing to think of finally splurging on a flintlock .36 for squirrel. Won't be in time before season ends in February, but I might be coming into some bonus funds from work so time to start spending money I don't have yet :) 

One thing that would hold me back is I don't even know how easy it is to find real black powder anymore, or how much it is.  Has anyone looked into black powder sales lately?

(oh, and BTW, the flu is way worse than covid, and I got the flu vaccine just 3 months ago)

My neighbor has a 32 cal flint

uses 3f in the gun and 4f in the pan

casts his own balls 

I think it’s a Lyman Kentucky rifle 

barrels long.   32 inches maybe longer    The barrel sits in the wood the entire length   Cool looking    Not for me but still cool 

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Anyone here go out for squirrel in the "squirrel muzzy areas" with a flintlock?  I don't know of a single person who does.

Since I'm sitting home with the flu for the past week losing out on all the final days of waterfowl :(  I'm left daydreaming....  I'm continuing to think of finally splurging on a flintlock .36 for squirrel. Won't be in time before season ends in February, but I might be coming into some bonus funds from work so time to start spending money I don't have yet :) 

One thing that would hold me back is I don't even know how easy it is to find real black powder anymore, or how much it is.  Has anyone looked into black powder sales lately?

(oh, and BTW, the flu is way worse than covid, and I got the flu vaccine just 3 months ago)

Take it easy, I think youre getting cabin fever..lol Buy yourself a good pellet gun instead, save a lot of money on ammo:up:

The Shining GIF

Edited by bucky

I’ll second that.   Way cheaper  quieter.   Easy to clean and store 

limited range way way way eaiser to find and fine ammo for 

we have a gammo

must have shot it 309 times the first weekend  we got it 

been in the closet since.   Lol 

😆 

I get where you're coming from Mazz.  Been looking for a .32 for years.  I call Dixons and get the same answer... nope.  

Powder has become more available since GOEX started making it again.  Just picked up 3F and 4F just to have.  Was running a little low on the 3F.  Building a third flintlock so I don't want to be chancing running too low.  

Pellet guns are no fun to me.  

Edited by B B

15 hours ago, Swamprat said:

Haven't done it with percussion or flintlock. 

I think you'll drive yourself crazy. Lol 

Get a .44, 45 , 50, or 54 cal and use for deer. 

I agree.  Years ago I went to Dixons to purchase a .36 flintlock.  I told him I already had a .54  He told me to use the .54 and shoot them in the head.  The guy talked me out of a sale.  They are great people. Great practice for deer. 

1 hour ago, Mountain Goat said:

I told him I already had a .54  He told me to use the .54 and shoot them in the head. 

Well, unfortunately that is illegal in NJ.  Nothing larger than .36 for squirrel in NJ.

I probably won't do it. I'm just home with a foggy head thinking of something different to try. If I go flint, it's just more stuff I have to worry about buying and keeping on hand -- blackpowder, patches, flints, ammo, etc.

I don't mind airgun hunting if the range wasn't so limited with what I have.  Not even being able to go out to 25 yards is annoying. And I don't think I want to go the PCP route - almost as bad as worrying about blackpowder is having to get gas... either way, it's more crap I have to worry about buying and storing :) Unless they make good ones you can use a hand pump to get 10 shots into the gun (??). Maybe that's another thread for the airgun guys...

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Well, unfortunately that is illegal in NJ.  Nothing larger than .36 for squirrel in NJ.

I probably won't do it. I'm just home with a foggy head thinking of something different to try. If I go flint, it's just more stuff I have to worry about buying and keeping on hand -- blackpowder, patches, flints, ammo, etc.

I don't mind airgun hunting if the range wasn't so limited with what I have.  Not even being able to go out to 25 yards is annoying. And I don't think I want to go the PCP route - almost as bad as worrying about blackpowder is having to get gas... either way, it's more crap I have to worry about buying and storing :) Unless they make good ones you can use a hand pump to get 10 shots into the gun (??). Maybe that's another thread for the airgun guys...

Just pretend the deer are squirrels and shoot them in the head. Just don't post it here or you'll get flamed.  Lol. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2024 at 9:10 AM, mazzgolf said:

Just be aware, if you do go down that rabbit hole, you may never come up - seriously addicting. And Black powder is getting easier to find. Percussion caps are a different story, although they seem to be easy to make

I have a 32 Hawken style percussion and a 36 Kentucky rocklock I'm itching to get out into the squirrel woods with. My problem has been finding a place to go, I'm in the heart of Monmouth County and it's not legal anywhere even near me.

Anyone got some farmland in a legal zone and need to thin the squirrel horde ?

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/hunting/small-game/

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962