IGNORED

Bow Hunting

Turkeyslayer

2 minutes ago, fish_hunter said:

My 8 year old and 10 year old daughter's stack arrows in pie plates at 15 yards with their compounds. I bought them their bows in November.... Turkey's better  beware this Spring. I spent 1000 bucks on both set up's, which they will both be able to shoot comfortably for the next 5 years. 

It can be done.  We have gotten away from developing the skills and want instant gratification.  Not just with hunting but everything in life

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

It can be done.  We have gotten away from developing the skills and want instant gratification.  Not just with hunting but everything in life

What skills? The posts prior to this said that kids can become proficient very quickly. It's not about skill, it's about the proper guidance. If a guy doesn't know "chit from shinola" about crossbows, he can screw up big time too. It's not foolproof. 

14 minutes ago, archer36 said:

What skills? The posts prior to this said that kids can become proficient very quickly. It's not about skill, it's about the proper guidance. If a guy doesn't know "chit from shinola" about crossbows, he can screw up big time too. It's not foolproof. 

Much easier to say this is a crossbow this is how it works here ya go and if the cross bow I'd set right the user can hit bullseye in 1 or 2 shots.  My 3 year old can cut xs at 30 yrds with my wifes. That's the point it's much easier to be repeadativly consistent in a shorter time But it's not just with weapon many skills in hunting are being forgotten or back seated.  One of my pepeeves is tracking..  even in the circle I know.  No blood at the hit sight call the dog.   Yes the dog is a great tool but we shouldn't forget the basics

Edited by vdep217

8 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Much easier to say this is a crossbow this is how it works here ya go and if the cross bow I'd set right the user can hit bullseye in 1 or 2 shots.  My 3 year old can cut xs at 30 yrds with my wifes. That's the point it's much easier to be repeadativly consistent in a shorter time But it's not just with weapon many skills in hunting are being forgotten or back seated.  One of my pepeeves is tracking..  even in the circle I know.  No blood at the hit sight call the dog.   Yes the dog is a great tool but we shouldn't forget the basics

No matter if it's a crossbow or a compound, if it's not set up right, it will not be accurate. You are giving examples of proven setups. All you have to do is pull the trigger. I have helped a few guys set up their crossbows and let me tell you, if they were left on their own to figure it out it would be a disaster. Same thing with compound bows. If you had to set them up from scratch, you have to do a lot of tuning to get it right. A post here said within a few minutes, a kid was shooting bullseyes with a compound that was properly set up in a Pro Shop. 

It's about the proper set up and guidance. Once you have that, both are "easy". OK, You may have to take 3 shots with a compound before you hit the bullseye and only one with a crossbow. WOW, that's a big difference. Pat yourself on the back for working so hard with the compound. :rofl:

This compound VS crossbow discussion is always ridiculous. Modern crossbows are very complex. If it is not properly set up, you won't hit chit and you may possibly hurt yourself in the process. So it's not all GOOD, as people will say. :down:

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

No matter if it's a crossbow or a compound, if it's not set up right, it will not be accurate. You are giving examples of proven setups. All you have to do is pull the trigger. I have helped a few guys set up their crossbows and let me tell you, if they were left on their own to figure it out it would be a disaster. Same thing with compound bows. If you had to set them up from scratch, you have to do a lot of tuning to get it right. A post here said within a few minutes, a kid was shooting bullseyes with a compound that was properly set up in a Pro Shop. 

It's about the proper set up and guidance. Once you have that, both are "easy". OK, You may have to take 3 shots with a compound before you hit the bullseye and only one with a crossbow. WOW, that's a big difference. Pat yourself on the back for working so hard with the compound. :rofl:

This compound VS crossbow discussion is always ridiculous. Modern crossbows are very complex. If it is not properly set up, you won't hit chit and you may possibly hurt yourself in the process. So it's not all GOOD, as people will say. :down:

This is a broad example but even buying a crossbow at wallmart in a box with basic knowledge can be put together with instructions and hitting bullseye in minutes

10 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

This is a broad example but even buying a crossbow at wallmart in a box with basic knowledge can be put together with instructions and hitting bullseye in minutes

I'll give you two examples why that's BS. 

I helped a friend zero his crossbow. The scope was mounted in the sport shop where he bought it. He was told it should hit the bulleye at 20 yards. NO!. It was shooting way off. The scope was not mounted properly. 

Another example. I helped a guy with his new crossbow. It was assembled in the store he bought it. After missing the target at 10 yds and making all kinds of scope adjustments, it would not shoot accurately. 

We took it back and it was determined that the scope rail was bent. 

After replacing the rail, the scope was adjusted to hit the bullseye. 

There are MANY issues that can arise from a crossbow. Incorrect arrows. Incorrect broadheads. Incorrect nocks. Scope not holding zero, and more. A compound bow is much simpler to operate properly. 

Once both ARE set up properly, they can be mastered quickly. 

That's all I have to say on the subject. I don't enjoy debating topics ad nauseum. :happywave:

Edited by archer36

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I helped a friend zero his crossbow. The scope was mounted in the sport shop where he bought it. He was told it should hit the bulleye at 20 yards. NO!. It was shooting way off. The scope was not mounted properly. 

Another example. I helped a guy with his new crossbow. It was assembled in the store he bought it. After missing the target at 10 yds and making all kinds of scope adjustments, it would not shoot accurately. 

There are MANY issues that can arise from a crossbow. Incorrect arrows. Incorrect broadheads. Incorrect nocks. Scope not holding zero, and more. A compound bow is much simpler to operate properly. 

That's all I have to say on the subject. I don't enjoy debating topics ad nauseum. :happywave:

That's with defects or human error. With basic knowledge a crossbow can be set up quickly.  Theres no tuning luke with a compound. I can give you an example of a friend's crossbow breaking at 1pm he ran to wallmart bought a Barnett.  Put scope on it shotit at 10 yrds adjusted went to 20 yrds adjusted hit bull.  Climbed in tree at 3 killed a deer at 345.

I have no problem with a new hunter picking up an xbow over a compound. Yes it’s easier to set up and I think that’s good. Not everyone has the time or has family or friends to help them out with the compound . You still need to know how to hunt in order to kill a deer. If it gets more people into hunting I’m all for it. 

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

13 hours ago, archer36 said:

The cost difference is what you make it, but it should not be the reason to do it. You need someone who is experienced in both to teach you how to safely and proficiently shoot both. Sure, once the crossbow is properly assembled and sighted in, you are "set". You just have to pull the trigger. With a compound, even after it is sighted in, a shooter must be consistent with his hold and release. That's where the difference comes in. If he enjoys and has the time to shoot dozens of arrows, he may like a vertical (compound) bow. If he doesn't have time, then the crossbow is the right choice. 

Time is something not everyone has. He shouldn't be criticized for his decision. Maybe the demands of work and family doesn't allow him to spend hours becoming proficient with a vertical bow. So what. He will still be able to enjoy the outdoors and use a weapon that he can use ethically. 

I was not hating on him at all for it I was simply saying that a lot of people I know that are starting out hunting are choosing crossbows because of cost 

10 hours ago, archer36 said:

are you actually saying a crossbow is just a hard to set up? you said two wild occurrences that happened my buddy who bought the crossbow had it hitting bullseye at 20 yards under a hour. there is so much more that goes into setting up a compound 

19 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Depends how you look at it and what you  want out of it.  For 3 months of cheer leading for my 5 year old it was over 600. Friend of mines 9 year old son 1 season of little league snd equipment bat helmet etc almost 700. 

The point being, the kids I get into the sport, can’t afford to get into even a mid level bow at a shop for $1200. It just isn’t a feasible option. And a lot of adults aren’t  about to drop that kind of coin on something they don’t know if they would like or not. Cost has been a huge factor as a deterrent to hunting in general for many people that have wanted me to get them into the sport over the years. I brought that up to the state when they were willing to listen to us last year about the licensing fees. Even though it was falling on deaf ears. 

Edited by Jcol6268

2 hours ago, Jcol6268 said:

The point being, the kids I get into the sport, can’t afford to get into even a mid level bow at a shop for $1200. It just isn’t a feasible option. And a lot of adults aren’t  about to drop that kind of coin on something they don’t know if they would like or not. Cost has been a huge factor as a deterrent to hunting in general for many people that have wanted me to get them into the sport over the years. I brought that up to the state when they were willing to listen to us last year about the licensing fees. Even though it was falling on deaf ears. 

Which is the main reason I have so much equipment and 2 of everything lol

I think majority of new bow hunters do/will go the crossbow route.  Most people starting out won’t buy top of the line and there’s so many low model crossbows out there.  You can’t just loan someone a compound as it’s set up exactly for you and your size. But anyone can borrow a crossbow and shoot it like a gun. As long as new people keep joining our sport it’s a good thing.  But I feel like hunting and fishing are both sports that attract people best from young ages. Hard to get friends to join a sport that may have more empty days than killing/catching. But us who have hunted since kids go into the sport understanding it’s about being in the woods or with family not the killing.