IGNORED

Where are you keeping your duck boats??

NJNewbie

For those of you that dont have a lot of property where your live, where are you storing your duck boats. Looking for somewhere to keep a 14ft duck boat that wont break the bank. unfortunately, I live in Jersey city so space is definingly an issue in my area. I  also work in hillside nj so I would be open to keeping the boat there as I am there 5 days a week and would have easy access after or before work. I would assume the marina's in JC are quite expensive for dry storage year round. I also wont be using the boat very much(if at all) except during the season, so really looking for something economical. I have been searching around hillside but cant seem to find anything reasonable. It does not need to be covered storage, can be outside as long as its somewhat secure(locked gate. etc). Interested in any ideas 

My dad bought us a 17' tracker during the pandemic.... We use it to fish and duck hunt. He first stored it at a self storage place, an outside spot. Once they raised the price to over $100/month he moved it to a friend's farm who is letting him park it there for $50/month. Again, outside.

I'd love to be able to park it indoors somewhere, but price is too much even if you can find a place that can accommodate it.

Storing outside just adds to the problems... Weather and nature takes its toll. We have an expensive cover that helps, but just this weekend we found wasps making a home under the cover that is over the motor :angry: the bungee cords holding down the cover just after a single year are faded and losing their elasticity. Heavy snow and you have too make sure you shovel it off. We had some other issues that are due to being stored outside. I don't know what the weather extremes are doing to the motor... So far so good tho. But just know, if storing outside, I wouldn't let it go for months without checking up on it.

So with that limited experience I would say:

1. If you can afford it, definitely pay to store it inside (or, if not inside, at least under cover).

2. Ask around if someone you know that has acreage can offer to store it on property if money is an issue.

3. If you pay for a self storage place, get it parked on concrete rather than dirt or grass. We had it parked outside on concrete that first year and it held up good, at least. On the farm where it is now, it's just sitting where grass is growing tall, the wasps are around, and who knows what other critters are around, and who knows what is buried in the grass waiting to puncture a tire. I don't know if tires sitting in grass and dirt is better or worse then concrete, but I'm assuming concrete would be a better surface for storage.

Going to use the boat to hunt Upper Portion of Barnegat Bay. Would also be open to leaving it in that area, maybe I will take RGW recommendation and talk to some farmers. Would obviously prefer covered storage, but not sure if its in the budget. 

Definitely do check out the self-storage places. I kept one there and it was very reasonable.

I had a duck hunting jon boat when I was living in an apartment complex back in the 80s, and they wouldn't let me park it there. The self-storage place was in South Brunswick I think, and it was even cheaper if I let them block it in with other stuff. They just needed a two business-day heads up to get it clear for me. Worked out well.

Good luck.