IGNORED

Bismuth Size for Diver Ducks, Big Geese, and Brant

dcob050300

Hi all, To those of you who use bismuth what shot sizes do you recommend for divers and geese? I will be purchasing both 12 Ga. and 20 Ga. loads. My shots are often at varied ranges anywhere from 20-50 yds. I'm considering Boss but Winchester bismuth, and the Hevi Xii (I know not bismuth) look interesting as well. Thanks!

More importantly than shot size you need to find out what patterns well out of your gun. I’ve been shooting boss for a few years and really like it. 

I do a lot of shooting in that 15-25 yard range for puddle ducks and thought 5s would be the ticket. It’s a lot of pellets but I couldn’t keep a good tight consistent pattern so I tried the 3” #4 shot and it’s been absolutely awesome for the decoying puddle ducks and have killed a fair number of divers and geese with them. I also bought some 3” #3s to try and they also patterned well so I do use them when diver hunting and the birds aren’t finishing as well. 

1 hour ago, dcob050300 said:

Hi all, To those of you who use bismuth what shot sizes do you recommend for divers and geese? I will be purchasing both 12 Ga. and 20 Ga. loads. My shots are often at varied ranges anywhere from 20-50 yds. I'm considering Boss but Winchester bismuth, and the Hevi Xii (I know not bismuth) look interesting as well. Thanks!

Welcome to the site! :welcome:

4 hours ago, dcob050300 said:

While I don't use bismuth, I have heard a lot of good things about the Boss 3/5 mixed load. I think that could give you the best of both worlds. 

I have shot boss ammo for years now. Puddle ducks over dekes 2 3/4” #5.  Late season ducks and Canadas their 2 3/4” #3/5 combo is hard to beat. Their new war chief round is probably the best all around ammo on the market now. Don’t shoot divers very much but #5s have been great. Also bismuth needs to be choked down VS steel.  

Edited by Bmelvin