IGNORED

Hunting Freshwater Ducks

Pucknut

I'm wondering if inland ducks over freshwater ponds and wetlands need to be called to more?  My whole life I've pretty much only hunted coastal or occasionally south zone, but just west of the parkway.  I don't do a lot of calling because I don't hear a much noise from the ducks where I hunt.  I scouted out a freshwater spot last year so I'd have a better option on days with poor tides and/or high winds.  I took the picture below last spring after I cut a path back to this spot.  I hunted it a couple times this season, once early in the ice and did ok.  The second time was late season without ice and I had 20-30 mallards just circling, but nothing committed.  Exciting, but frustrating!  I had four decoys out, one on a jerk string.  My first thought is to improve the hide, but could it also be the calling.   I appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks. 

IMG_4294.jpg

if you feel the need to call more, you're just making it worse for your cause. 

motion in your spread will do more for you 10 fold than more calling will do. ducks are always moving around; what they're not always doing is making a bunch of racket on the water if they're comfortable. they're usually pretty quiet if they're content. 

1 hour ago, swamprat142 said:

Years ago, I had a nice vernal pool, hard bottom. I go there and as I walking across the pond, I looked down and saw some a hole had laced it with corn. This was a resting pond not  a feeding spot. I got the hell out of there as fast as I could before a Warden showed up. This was in the Wharton State Forest.

Was that off of Carranza Road? 

Thanks for the suggestions!  I think whenever hunting a new spot there is a certain learning curve.  I'm definitely going to look into a drake whistle, but also not worry about calling too much.  When decoying black ducks on the salt marsh I hardly call at all and do just fine.  

As far as the hide goes, I probably cut the overhead vegetation back too far.  I wasn't thinking what it would look like in the winter without leaves.  

1 hour ago, Pucknut said:

Thanks for the suggestions!  I think whenever hunting a new spot there is a certain learning curve.  I'm definitely going to look into a drake whistle, but also not worry about calling too much.  When decoying black ducks on the salt marsh I hardly call at all and do just fine.  

As far as the hide goes, I probably cut the overhead vegetation back too far.  I wasn't thinking what it would look like in the winter without leaves.  

We use one those motion decoys and it seems to attract nervous birds. Next season I am going to purchase one of those motion decoys that sits in water. Our spot gets minimal wind and ripples help. I’m lazy with the jerk string. 

Edited by Batsto