IGNORED

Do You Think The Number Of Resident + Nonresident Spring Turkey Hunters Are Increasing In New Jersey?

Fred Flintstone

36 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

Understood. I just wouldn’t mind paying one fee whatever it is and let me hunt. Just hate everything is itemized. I don’t drop $200 on a bar it’s been many years since those days. My boys are just getting out of organized sports so I know the cost of all that nonsense. Traveling, hotels, lessons. Could’ve purchased my own piece of land probably. Lol

I think that's the beauty of our current system hunt as much as you'd like or as little.  For 32 dollars you can potentially hunt close to 75 days get 2 bucks and unlimited does

13 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I think that's the beauty of our current system hunt as much as you'd like or as little.  For 32 dollars you can potentially hunt close to 75 days get 2 bucks and unlimited does

I don’t want to derail from Fred’s  original post. But yes 75 days but I can hunt where I want unless I want to keep paying? I hunt almost exclusively public. I’d love to venture up North and hunt the bigger woods but don’t want to keep paying for zones just to check it out on a hunt or two. Tell me the NR is $500 for season and I hunt wherever I want with whatever weapon during the appropriate season and I’m ok with it. I hunted BC, NM and Arizona and the NR license fees were outrages and I only got to hunt 7 days in each. So I’m not complaining about the cost just the way it’s itemized. NJ is one state not 20 different zones. 
Sorry Fred for derailing your post. Let’s hunt some turkeys !

13 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

I don’t want to derail from Fred’s  original post. But yes 75 days but I can hunt where I want unless I want to keep paying? I hunt almost exclusively public. I’d love to venture up North and hunt the bigger woods but don’t want to keep paying for zones just to check it out on a hunt or two. Tell me the NR is $500 for season and I hunt wherever I want with whatever weapon during the appropriate season and I’m ok with it. I hunted BC, NM and Arizona and the NR license fees were outrages and I only got to hunt 7 days in each. So I’m not complaining about the cost just the way it’s itemized. NJ is one state not 20 different zones. 
Sorry Fred for derailing your post. Let’s hunt some turkeys !

Every single state in the nation ups the cost to non-residents

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, Rjtfd said:

Understood. I just wouldn’t mind paying one fee whatever it is and let me hunt. Just hate everything is itemized. I don’t drop $200 on a bar it’s been many years since those days. My boys are just getting out of organized sports so I know the cost of all that nonsense. Traveling, hotels, lessons. Could’ve purchased my own piece of land probably. Lol

Exactly  That.   The Process would be much easier if when you bought your Hunting License- you would have an option right then to Pony up Extra Money for 5 Turkey Tags. Unfortunately  right now that would not work as many more Turkey Permits then 5 can be bought.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

1 hour ago, Rjtfd said:

My complaint isn’t non resident vs resident it’s just the way it’s broken down with seasons and zones. I don’t mind paying just give me a set amount. 

Unfortunately every state is set up differently. There is no incentive for NJ to change. NY streamlined their licensing structure and dates several years ago which was a drastic change that I never thought would happen.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 minute ago, Bucndoe said:

Unfortunately every state is set up differently. There is no incentive for NJ to change. NY streamlined their licensing structure and dates several years ago which was a drastic change that I never thought would happen.

I’ve hunted NY since I was legally allowed. There was always big game license and if you wanted to archery hunt there was a stamp to purchase the dates for each season was posted no separate purchases for zones there was southern zone and northern zone and only difference was the dates they opened and closed. If you applied for a doe tag it was a small fee. If you hunted turkey it included spring and fall but you needed a small game license for it. The turkey stamp was $2 extra last time I turkey hunted there. Again my complaint isn’t the cost it’s the way it’s all broken up. Make it easy at beginning of year and purchase once. 

The one big Negative that,I see using both the Lottery  Process and the " over the Counter process is that a Man who already won his " A" Week Turkey Permit in one of the " Hot" Zones of High Turkey Numbers can buy additional " A" Week permits during the over the counter day. 

Perhaps a hopeful Hunter from Zones 12-22  did not win his " A" Week in the Lottery  and he Learns later there are still a small number of leftover permits for " A" Week in his Hot Zone with High Turkey Numbers.

So the over the counter day finally comes in March and standing 4 back in line at Walmart he finds out when his turn comes up that"A" Week just sold out in his Hot Zone. 

Meanwhile  the Guy who got the Turkey Permits that he wanted during the Lottery Phase is all set at 9.59am at his home on the over the counter morning. Since this can be done on Line he is ready- The Printer is ready to bang out one Spring Turkey Permit after another .  And he gets what he wants- again. 

Think about it- this probably happens every year. Many Hopeful Spring Turkey Hunters never seem to be able to pull "A" Week in their Zone. Meanwhile  another Man has 2 -"A" week permits .  And probably  plenty will be able to get 2- "A" week Turkey permits in several Zones.    

The one change that should be made to be fair to all is simply  this . If you pulled your "A" Week in the Lottery Phase- you cannot buy another "A" Week Permit in that particular  Zone  until you kill a Gobbler and then apply for another "A" week if any are leftover.

Perhaps it is high time to also increase available  Spring Turkey Permits by a good 50 in Hot Zones 12-22.  Some of these Zones have plenty of Public Areas to Spread Hunters out. Zone 21 has 15 Areas. Zone 22 has 17 areas.

Being from New York,I like the NY System much better. 10 Bucks for 2 Spring Turkey Permits and 1 Fall permit. Even a non- resident  only pays 20 Bucks for their 3 NY Turkey Permits. Probably  one of the best deals in the entire Country.

And,I have been Turkey Hunting in NJ since 1994 and know the System well. Perhaps NJ will someday change their format and allow Turkey Hunters to buy their 5 Turkey Permits up front when they buy their Hunting  License. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

On 12/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, Fred Flintstone said:

Up in Sterling  Forest state Park in New York, I see plenty of NJ License Plates. And all are welcome mind you. I also see plenty of NY License Plates as well in May. Still- no overcrowding  at all.

That's NY where you have plenty of space to move around.  Not the same story in the most densely populated state in the country.  You obviously havent hunted some zones where the zones sell out year after year lol.  It would certainly work in some zones, but not well for others.  You dont have a taste for the state as a whole, just your sample size of North Jersey.  

On 12/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, vdep217 said:

I did the math once  buying 2 permits for bow n muzzy all around stamps ect I was at like 2 dollars a day for all of the days we can hunt from Sept through April.  Unlimited harvest of deer 4 turkeys etc I think it's a pretty good deal

I spend a few more dollars than that lol.  However, I don't think spending money on what I love is a waste, nor complain about it.  I was just referring to NY as one of the cheapest out of State hunts I've been on (granted thats limited to only five or so states).  I think even for out of staters, its quite a deal here in NJ.  

46 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Perhaps it is high time to also increase available  Spring Turkey Permits by a good 50 in Hot Zones 12-22.  Some of these Zones have plenty of Public Areas to Spread Hunters out. Zone 21 has 15 Areas. Zone 22 has 17 areas.

Why would you increase the quota for the hot zones?  Strictly because they sell out?  

Turkeys in New Jersey are highly regulated maybe the most regulated in the country.  The quota system is in place not only for harvest but quality of hunt.  I've seen mention of plenty of public land available but come spring season the birds are concentrated to small areas.  If it was a free for all it would be dangerous and the quality of the hunt would suffer.  There is nothing stopping anyone from getting out of your comfort zone and trying new areas if you aren't awarded a permit.

Guys were complaining the same when deer permits used to sell out now they complain over harvest.  Your not going to please everyone.   And I for one having been shot turkey hunting even with the current quota am happy that there's not more people in the woods for any given segment

Edited by vdep217

I’d say there are less in NJ and definetly less non residents inting for turkey on NJ.  

my non resident PA license in cheaper then my resident NJ license and with that I get a spring gobbler tag.  That being said I can hunt the whole season not select days like NJ and I have better turkey spots in PA anyway.  I’ve been successful in both states but for now I choose the convenience and cost effectiveness to hunt PA for Turks.

8 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I’d say there are less in NJ and definetly less non residents inting for turkey on NJ.  

my non resident PA license in cheaper then my resident NJ license and with that I get a spring gobbler tag.  That being said I can hunt the whole season not select days like NJ and I have better turkey spots in PA anyway.  I’ve been successful in both states but for now I choose the convenience and cost effectiveness to hunt PA for Turks.

How is non resident cheaper than a new jersey lisence?  Non resident pa is 135.

Nj bow 32 gun 28 is 60 ad a 22 dollar turkey permit your at 82.

Edited by vdep217