IGNORED

Inconsistent winds/wind direction

megavites

This is more of a rant, but, do others have one of those spots where winds can be inconsistent and sometimes opposite of predicted? Do you bail or stick it out?

I use Huntstand, windy.com and floaters when I park but this one spot can often be 180 winds after checking....or both directions while in std. So in one direction it's good for me and deer(quartering to) and when it switches they might to come in.

I guess that's why I love windy days.....rant over.

The wma I hunt is nearly impossible to get a consistent wind. I am used to being hit in all four directions during each sit. Many of those spots I also have deer that approach from all four directions so what way the wind blows does not matter because you just do not know where the deer are going to come from anyway.

The only time I worry about it is if a buck consistently approaches from one direction and that is where scent is blowing more than other directions. 

2 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

The wma I hunt is nearly impossible to get a consistent wind. I am used to being hit in all four directions during each sit. Many of those spots I also have deer that approach from all four directions so what way the wind blows does not matter because you just do not know where the deer are going to come from anyway.

The only time I worry about it is if a buck consistently approaches from one direction and that is where scent is blowing more than other directions. 

that has to be pretty nerve racking keeping your head on a swivel. But if you can make it work, good on you. Wishing you success.

I need to have at least 180 deg dead zone...or at least I prefer that due to neck and back issues, so I try to keep that to my rear.

The winds the past week or so really make for a chess game.

I don't worry much about wind direction.  Nice to have it in my favor but deer come from all directions and I can't control that.  Every hunt I'll at least have on a clean T shirt, also shirt and pants if I got sweated up, and change everything at least every other day no matter what.  Wash them in baking soda and bathe in baking soda before a hunt.  Deer are within range and often 5-10yds downwind before getting any whiff of me.  Even then they rarely spook.  As long as I don't blink an eye they carry on their way.  My main concern is concealing any movement.

43 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Every hunt I'll at least have on a clean T shirt, also shirt and pants if I got sweated up, and change everything at least every other day no matter what.  Wash them in baking soda and bathe in baking soda before a hunt. 

What about the tighty whities:nerd:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

7 hours ago, megavites said:

that has to be pretty nerve racking keeping your head on a swivel. But if you can make it work, good on you. Wishing you success.

I need to have at least 180 deg dead zone...or at least I prefer that due to neck and back issues, so I try to keep that to my rear.

The winds the past week or so really make for a chess game.

I would never be able to hunt one of my favorite stands. I can feel the breeze on my right cheek and during same gust get a breeze from opposite direction. A few sits ago I literally had deer come all 4 directions. Last sit just 2 directions.  That is why I like dry leaves at this spot. I hear them coming.