IGNORED

Skeet Shooting on private property...laws?

TSPenn

What is are the laws for shooting skeet on private property? I have an excellent field for it, no homes or dwellings within a 1/4 mile. I used to do this a lot years ago on my dad's place and I'd really like to setup for this summer.

Pretty sure I'm within the law, but would appreciate advise. The Montgomery police range is right next to my property, they goes ballistic, no pun intended, on some days, mostly summer.

As long as there isn't a no discharge law' date=' you should be good to go

[/quote']

No problem with that. The couple cops I met were very cool. Most were hunters who spent time just bullshitting with me. But they do drive through this backroad often because of the range and there are ball fields at the end of the road. FAR from where I would be shooting and a different direction.

If a cop was to come investigate the shooting what is required of the shooters as far as ID, weapon local registration, ect. What would I expect to be asked? I'm pretty sure once they knew I was shooting back there, and all was legal, they would be cool after that. They know we hunt bow/muzzy/shotgun here already.

If a cop was to come investigate the shooting what is required of the shooters as far as ID' date=' weapon local registration, ect. What would I expect to be asked?

[/quote']

Being they are the ones that would show up if someone called, I think your best bet would be to call them and ask them.

Being they are the ones that would show up if someone called' date=' I think your best bet would be to call them and ask them.

[/quote']

Ya know, that is a great idea. It shows respect for local law enforcement and keeps them from wasting manpower if they know in advance. Good comment.

Ya know' date=' that is a great idea. It shows respect for local law enforcement and keeps them from wasting manpower if they know in advance. Good comment.

[/quote']

Not trying to be a jerk but police enforce the law. They do not write it.

So If it were me I would ask a lawyer. You can ask the police and they will give u there opinion but it may not be the actual law.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

We shoot skeet as well as rifles, pistols, slug guns, and muzzleloaders all of the time on our club property in Sparta. The only time a cop showed was once on a Sunday to make sure nobody was hunting illegally. We were popping off a .44 mag pistol and an AR rifle at the time. He just smiled and said, "have fun". This is still America, after all:)

We shoot skeet as well as rifles' date=' pistols, slug guns, and muzzleloaders all of the time on our club property in Sparta. The only time a cop showed was once on a Sunday to make sure nobody was hunting illegally. We were popping off a .44 mag pistol and an AR rifle at the time. He just smiled and said, "have fun". This is still America, after all:)

[/quote']

Ok, will this totally destroy my property for hunting next year?

Ok' date=' will this totally destroy my property for hunting next year?

[/quote']

I would tend to think not, it's more likely to get them acclimated to the gunfire.

I am always amazed at how the gunfire that emanates from my club in Bridgewater does nothing to spook the deer on the property.

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable

Ok' date=' will this totally destroy my property for hunting next year?

[/quote']

We used to shoot trap/skeet all spring/summer at my grandfathers when we were growing up. I remember having to clean up the spent wads and clay pigeons after the day's round. Other than that, deer & turkey would show up in the fall like clockwork.:thumb_up:

1sm260gun1.gif

Thats the only problem I see Tracy. Who is going to do the cleanup lol. Those things make a mess. Best is to shoot over an irrigation pond if you have one. Clean up you spent shells and your done.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Tracy, We shoot skeet/trap on a 6 acre piece in Hunterdon Co. Before we shoot we call the police dept & let them know just to be safe. Never had a problem.

Oh yeah . even though the clay birds are biodegradable , picking up the large pieces is a pain in the a**. Bring a kid with you! LOL ! And dont shoot where pigs can get to the clay birds as they are toxic to them.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers: