IGNORED

Fishing from shore in Belize?

BowhunterNJ

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new rod/reel setup that he wants to bring with him to Belize for vacation.  He will be fishing from shore, as they're staying right on the ocean.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I have no idea on fishing in Belize, but figured some here might.  He's just looking to have some fun and catch some fish, isn't looking to spend $1000, probably more like a couple hundred.

A friend of mine is looking to buy a new rod/reel setup that he wants to bring with him to Belize for vacation.  He will be fishing from shore, as they're staying right on the ocean.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I have no idea on fishing in Belize, but figured some here might.  He's just looking to have some fun and catch some fish, isn't looking to spend $1000, probably more like a couple hundred.
Reel size plays a big part in the rod. My buddy put a van staal 175 on a 10' odm genesis. Was having major wind knots with braid. Keep breaking off. Ask buddy what reel size. Is he plan on tossing plugs or chunking bait. I build rods for rooster fish off of Mexico. And a black hole 12' 2-6 0z 2 piece rod in a bazzuka tube fits on plane. Fuji lowrider guides same as st Croix mojo rods is what I use. I have a blank on hand if buddy wants one custome built. With a dogfight 8000 size reel, 400 yards of suffix 832 30#. And a 3 oz gt ice cream. A good surfcaster can get 500' or more.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Reel size plays a big part in the rod. My buddy put a van staal 175 on a 10' odm genesis. Was having major wind knots with braid. Keep breaking off. Ask buddy what reel size. Is he plan on tossing plugs or chunking bait. I build rods for rooster fish off of Mexico. And a black hole 12' 2-6 0z 2 piece rod in a bazzuka tube fits on plane. Fuji lowrider guides same as st Croix mojo rods is what I use. I have a blank on hand if buddy wants one custome built. With a dogfight 8000 size reel, 400 yards of suffix 832 30#. And a 3 oz gt ice cream. A good surfcaster can get 500' or more.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This blank is as light as a feather.acb0ed15436c25b4aefd851072d3dfe7.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

I would go with a 7' spinning rod that cast a light skimmer jig for bonefish and permit, but also some larger stuff for snook, tarpon, barracuda.   300 yards of 10# braid.     This outfit works for me pretty much everywhere.  Works fine on inshore mangrove snappers as well. (GOOD EATING). small bonefish and permit jigs, 2 and 3" GULP shrimp on a skimmer jig or light bucktail is deadly on just about anything in the tropics.   Also have some good swimming plugs, plastic swim shads and eels on jigheads,  and topwaters - and of course - hooks in case bait is available (like shrimp or calimari). . The rod should have plenty of backbone to handle these speedsters, but soft enough tip to cast far and finesse the lures.    A great reel choice for this outfit would be a Daiwa BG 2500.      This is if I had to bring "just one" rod.    I would also want a second 7' rod with 20# braid, with even more backbone in case I had more realistic shots at tarpon and larger cudas and even smaller sharks that frequent the flats. Again for the money and quality, would just go up a size or two in the Daiwa BG line.    But that first 10# outfit can handle any bonefish or permit that swims, as well as any inshore snapper and tarpon under 30#. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I like to do as much research as possible when I am hitting a new destination....

there  is some info on fishing from shore in this link

https://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishing.html

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What month is he going?  That link I posted above shows you the best months per species

I shot a big 10pt once….

You like the dogfight over a stella??
Both reels work equal. The dogfight picks up more line. For roosters and GT you want the lure skipping across the top of the water as fast as you can reel. 40" reels are too slow.
I use a Penn slammer3 8500hs on the 12' rod.i get the country mile cast and the speed required to keep the lure on top out of the water fast.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk