IGNORED

Do you really need a vent rib on shotgun barrel for hunting?

JD48

2 hours ago, JD48 said:

I hate mid beads, throws me off

I have a 21" vent rib for my 870..it has the mid bead. Bought it to use for turkey. I haven't shot through it much. The Wingmaster Mag i used as a teen has the mid bead on it too. I shot a few rounds of trap with it. Took a little to get used to it

4 minutes ago, rem870hunter1 said:

I have a 21" vent rib for my 870..it has the mid bead. Bought it to use for turkey. I haven't shot through it much. The Wingmaster Mag i used as a teen has the mid bead on it too. I shot a few rounds of trap with it. Took a little to get used to it

had one years ago, couldn't get use to it

10 hours ago, JD48 said:

had one years ago, couldn't get use to it

If i was to use either again i'd be all over the place.

Always forgot until i fired hmmm do i stack them like an 8 or do i align them where the mid bead is centered into the front bead. Stacked like an 8 would have you shooting high which would work for trap shooting i guess.

Suppose i'm shooting buckshot i'd be shooting over the deer. Or turkey loads i'd be shooting over the turkey head.

Maybe i'm overthinking this.🤨😬

8 minutes ago, rem870hunter1 said:

If i was to use either again i'd be all over the place.

Always forgot until i fired hmmm do i stack them like an 8 or do i align them where the mid bead is centered into the front bead. Stacked like an 8 would have you shooting high which would work for trap shooting i guess.

Suppose i'm shooting buckshot i'd be shooting over the deer. Or turkey loads i'd be shooting over the turkey head.

Maybe i'm overthinking this.🤨😬

Not over thinking at all, had the same issue, saw a guy one time that had 3 beads on his vent rib (don't know what that was all about) pheasant hunting

The idea behind a ventilated rib is to improve your sight plane.  And for that, it works wonders on fast flying game like grouse, woodcock and quail to name a few.  All my bird hunting shotguns have a ventilated rib barrel and all are O/U or SxS.  Do  you NEED it to hunt?  No.  Does it improve your shooting?  Yes, on snap shots.  Shooting slow flying birds or walking birds like pheasants and turkeys it's not a big deal.