IGNORED

Pheasant stocking

JD48

37 minutes ago, JD48 said:

If i remember correctly, didn't the state used to stock birds the week before 6- day? if so, when did they stop?

That seemed to change at the same time of the bird redistribution so maybe a few years ago now.  Shame but maybe they are allowing the woods to quiet down somewhat or it's a manpower thing.

44 minutes ago, JD48 said:

when did they stop?

You can find out by looking at all the old stocking schedules that are still around... In the URL just change the date:

Current schedule:

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2021/pheas_sched21.pdf

To see 2019, change the "2021" to "2019" and the "sched21" to "sched19":

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2019/pheas_sched19.pdf

I don't know how far back they go.

Edited by mazzgolf

It all depends on how the calendar is each year and how they spread out the stocking days. For many years now they only stock 15 days each season. In 2018 there were 9 stocking days before  6 day deer week and 6 stocking days after deer week. In 2019 there were 11 days before deer week and 4 after. In 2020 and  21, its 10 days before deer week and 5 after.

30 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

I think stocking the week before 6 day ended years ago when the shotgun doe days started this week….to limit the chance of guys mixing up birdshot and buckshot/slugs in their gear

Stocking the week before 6 day did not end years ago. 2017 there was a stocking on 12/2 and deer started 12/4. 2018 stocking on 12/1 and deer started 12/3. 2019 stocking on 12/5 and deer started 12/9. As I previously stated, it depends on the calendar each year. 2020 and 2021 the opening of pheasant season was earlier in November than 2017,18 and 19. Thus, allowing for more stocking days in November resulting in no stocking after Thanksgiving weekend until later in December to keep the established stocking days to only 15 days for the season.

13 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Stocking the week before 6 day did not end years ago. 2017 there was a stocking on 12/2 and deer started 12/4. 2018 stocking on 12/1 and deer started 12/3. 2019 stocking on 12/5 and deer started 12/9. As I previously stated, it depends on the calendar each year. 2020 and 2021 the opening of pheasant season was earlier in November than 2017,18 and 19. Thus, allowing for more stocking days in November resulting in no stocking after Thanksgiving weekend until later in December to keep the established stocking days to only 15 days for the season.

Hmmm….maybe they stocked the Saturday before 6 day…but i remember taking the dog out on a Tuesday or Thursday prior to 6 day and hardly any trucks were at the WMA….turned out it wasn’t a stocking day cuz of the doe day…

On 12/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, OldPiney Woods said:

It all depends on how the calendar is each year and how they spread out the stocking days. For many years now they only stock 15 days each season. In 2018 there were 9 stocking days before  6 day deer week and 6 stocking days after deer week. In 2019 there were 11 days before deer week and 4 after. In 2020 and  21, its 10 days before deer week and 5 after.

A couple of those years they had the pens collapse or some kind of die off as well.

8 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

Many years ago yes. They stocked pheasant through December and then quail in January.  I do not think they did any stocking in february. 

Dead, you may be correct , I think they did it so hunters would buy license and stamp early for new year ,  (i'm talking 1970s )