IGNORED

Savage 220 First Impressions

electric10162

40 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Maybe a 150 here in Jersey. Illinois yes.

39 minutes ago, BHC said:

Illinois 150 yards or more...they have real corn fields

You guys hunt Illinois?

There is a bill in Illinois this year (I think) to allow rifle hunting for deer.  However, you can bring your handgun there to hunt deer.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

9 hours ago, MPSR said:

When you have both guns with same load ballistics don’t lie

9 minutes ago, MPSR said:

From part I of the article:  "The Foot-Lbs. of energy exerted by 20 Gauge is vastly less over longer distances; actually cut to less than half at 100 Yards or more."

So 12GA will have more kinetic energy at longer distances than the 20 GA.

Additionally, the author states that the 20GA is more accurate than the 12GA but doesn't explain why this is other than less recoil.  Although he went to the range in part 2 of the article, he never showed shot patterns.  I would have though if he wanted to claim the round was more accurate at those distances, the best way would have been to show the targets.  It would have been a great comparison of the ammo too.

He also never tells you what he's shooting the ammo with.

If the powder in a 12GA shell is designed to move the slug at the same velocity as a 20GA slug, the 12 will always be more powerful.  My 12GA Remington 11-87 with a cantilever rifled barrel shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards when I shoot Remington Premier Ammunition 12 Gauge 3" 1 oz Copper Solid Sabot Slugs.  That's the kind of information that helps to know when someone is writing a review or an article comparing one thing to another.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

9 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

From part I of the article:  "The Foot-Lbs. of energy exerted by 20 Gauge is vastly less over longer distances; actually cut to less than half at 100 Yards or more."

So 12GA will have more kinetic energy at longer distances than the 20 GA.

Additionally, the author states that the 20GA is more accurate than the 12GA but doesn't explain why this is other than less recoil.  Although he went to the range in part 2 of the article, he never showed shot patterns.  I would have though if he wanted to claim the round was more accurate at those distances, the best way would have been to show the targets.  It would have been a great comparison of the ammo too.

He also never tells you what he's shooting the ammo with.

If the powder in a 12GA shell is designed to move the slug at the same velocity as a 20GA slug, the 12 will always be more powerful.  My 12GA Remington 11-87 with a cantilever rifled barrel shoots 1 MOA at 100 yards when I shoot Remington Premier Ammunition 12 Gauge 3" 1 oz Copper Solid Sabot Slugs.  That's the kind of information that helps to know when someone is writing a review or an article comparing one thing to another.

Agree it was a incomplete review. Kind of biased actually. Doesn't really matter to me which is better because I know my muzzy will outshoot both anyway. It's nice to have another option at my disposal though, especially for Illinois.

Once and for all, NO one is claiming that a 20 ga is "inferior" to a 12 ga. The issue is with saying the opposite. A 20 ga is NOT superior to the 12 in ANY measure except for possibly accuracy if you are recoil sensitive. The 20 ga is a fine weapon for deer sized game. 

It's sort of like saying a .308 is superior to a .338 Magnum. Yes, there are some aspects of the .308 that are good and it will kill about 90% of Big Game animals in the world but it isn't superior in most respects. It's more than adequate for most tasks. That's really what this discussion is about. It's all relative, not absolute. 

Edited by archer36

4 hours ago, archer36 said:

Once and for all, NO one is claiming that a 20 ga is "inferior" to a 12 ga. The issue is with saying the opposite. A 20 ga is NOT superior to the 12 in ANY measure except for possibly accuracy if you are recoil sensitive. The 20 ga is a fine weapon for deer sized game. 

It's sort of like saying a .308 is superior to a .338 Magnum. Yes, there are some aspects of the .308 that are good and it will kill about 90% of Big Game animals in the world but it isn't superior in most respects. It's more than adequate for most tasks. That's really what this discussion is about. It's all relative, not absolute. 

I'm going to do a comparison by the end of the summer. 200 yards, 12 vs 20, 870 vs 220, with Barnes Expanders.