IGNORED

Want to try Saddle Hunting

I want to make the transition to saddle hunting and dont know where to start. What saddle do you guys like. I was told the Aero Hunter and Cruzr models are good but have no idea what to choose. I am 5'7 160 and athletic so I am confident I can pick it up but just need some pointers on where to start and what to get. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

I'm also just starting.  Got the Cruzr XC.  Very happy with it.  Definitely get a back band type accessory.

These require alot of fine tuning to get it perfect.  Tether length, bridge length, couple other adjustments.

Very comfortable and very easy to get shots in most any direction, and when you do shoot you are much more stable than a stand.

I find the best setups for me where a platform, and a ring of steps around the tree as well.

I use the linemans belt with ropeman 1, and also the ropeman 1 on my tether with backup prussic attached

Edited by splitrockoutdoors

Great info. I was leaning toward a XC or the Merlin. Way to many choices and it seems like its all preference but how can you choose when you can't try them all.[emoji2959]

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

Same as said above, I would not over think it. I have purchased a few to try out and generally speaking, they are all the same in terms of comfort. Especially if you are doing the standard 2-4 hour sits. All day sits are hard no matter what.

As for the platform, that really depends on the kind of hunting you do. Long walks up hills - go with a ring of steps or the "Solo Scout". Have private land where you can preset - use old hang on, put them on the opposite side of the tree compared to hunting out of the stand traditionally and stand on the seat. 

Same as above for climbing sticks ^. I find stackability is more important than weight. 

7 hours ago, Jerseybassnbow said:

I want to make the transition to saddle hunting and dont know where to start. What saddle do you guys like. I was told the Aero Hunter and Cruzr models are good but have no idea what to choose. I am 5'7 160 and athletic so I am confident I can pick it up but just need some pointers on where to start and what to get. Thanks for any input.

I’m in southern Bergen County if you’d like to try my saddle out and see how it all works. I have the Phantom but the concepts are pretty much all the same no matter which saddle you get. 

If you could try someone’s in a backyard tree I would do it. Just sold my saddle.  I love the concept of it and it is light weight. But my form was crap shooting out of it. Now this is only my personal experience, not saying you will have any issues. But it would be great if you could try one to shoot out of a bit before making the final decision. 

Now I may try one again in the spring to see if I can overcome my form issues while in it. Like I said, I love the concept. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

So information I forgot to add. 

Which saddle?  I used a Tethrd Phantom and a Cruzr XC. Personally I like the small size of the Phantom. With that I feel the Cruzr would be a great cold weather saddle. In warm months and days the Phantom is going to help with keeping things light, but I could see the disadvantage to cold weather clothing. As the Cruzr would definitely create some extra sweat down there during the warm days, but would be great when the temps dip down. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

I switched to the saddle this year. It's a great way to hunt and gives you a ton of options.  As the others have said, it takes some tweaking.  Once you lock in what works for you, it's no more difficult then anything else.  I would recommend the Out on a limb ridge runner for a platform.  It's rock solid and lets you swing around the tree easily.  Good luck!

MOLON LABE

• 11 months later...