IGNORED

Where do you find buck beds in the pines

DropTheHammer

They will bed anywhere they feel secure in the pines. Best time to find them is morning after a snowfall.  I found a nice one where I know deer are using during this storm. Trail leading right into a huge brush. No other trail coming out. It is their entrance and exit.  But not all beds are that distinct.

New to hunting I hunt south jersey a lot of pines wondering where these big wood deer bed down during the rut. Wanna get on top of scouting at the end of season thank you for help
Check a piece of wood that has Laurel bushes, and briars. That is where I jump most bedding deer in the laurel's

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Far off the beaten path. The pines are hunted hard.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Look under the balloon in the pic.  The darker areas are depressions.  The sun hits South facing depressions and they block cold winds in any type of cover. 

I find most beds within 30 yards of roads.  Especially where people bait. They see you and/or hear you coming!

Screenshot_20201216-172929~2.jpg

Edited by nickmarch

I would say it depends on the weather and temps. 

Cold sunny days you may find them bedded in small clearings or hill sides sunning themselves, windy days behind blowdowns or something that blocks the wind, on rainy days they will be tucked up under those branches that form canopies overhead. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

1 hour ago, nickmarch said:

Look under the balloon in the pic.  The darker areas are depressions.  The sun hits South facing depressions and they block cold winds in any type of cover. 

I find most beds within 30 yards of roads.  Especially where people bait. They see you and/or hear you coming!

Screenshot_20201216-172929~2.jpg

Some nice deer and Turkey down there near Lake Nummy.

• 4 weeks later...

After winter bow spend as much time as you can in the woods. Topo maps as said will help in new areas. Doe and buck trails,scrapes ,beds, people trails are well beaten down by now. Nothing beats getting into an area and doing a thorough scouting this time of year til ticks become a nuisence. If we get snow its a great tool.I like to stay as far away from other hunters as possible. Deer beds will mainly be near cover and where they can see and smell danger and on swamp edges where they can get heat from the sun when cold. 

Edited by Rickinthepines
Left out a word.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:18 PM, tcook8296 said:

I would say it depends on the weather and temps. 

Cold sunny days you may find them bedded in small clearings or hill sides sunning themselves, windy days behind blowdowns or something that blocks the wind, on rainy days they will be tucked up under those branches that form canopies overhead. 

This was the best answer without getting to technical.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL