IGNORED

Saddle Hunting

I'm using a saddle this year.  Some saddle guys use pretty "advanced" (hear: nuts) climbing methods to save weight.  But, at the end of the day any climbing method that works with a hang on will work with a saddle.   Sticks, steps, aiders, single rope technique, double rope technique, a running jump on a giant trampoline, etc.  

Here is a good video of a guy who uses a CAYG aider to stretch out 4 sticks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKPj1H_0RQ

Edited by dlist777

49 minutes ago, dlist777 said:

I'm using a saddle this year.  Some saddle guys use pretty "advanced" (hear: nuts) climbing methods to save weight.  But, at the end of the day any climbing method that works with a hang on will work with a saddle.   Sticks, steps, aiders, single rope technique, double rope technique, a running jump on a giant trampoline, etc.  

Here is a good video of a guy who uses a CAYG aider to stretch out 4 sticks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lKPj1H_0RQ

The ropeman/carabiner setup for the linemans belt works great. I've been using it for a few years the only issue I have had pop up is a tiny squeak now and then when I'm releasing slack. 

I'm not crazy about this guy's aider setup, specifically the fact that he seems to attach it to the top of this step and not the bottom. Attaching it above the anchor point could cause an instability issue should you lose your balance. Also, that aider isn't attached to him or anything, god forbid he drops it, hope he has a second one in his pocket! haha. 

1 minute ago, newjerseyhunter said:

The ropeman/carabiner setup for the linemans belt works great. I've been using it for a few years the only issue I have had pop up is a tiny squeak now and then when I'm releasing slack. 

I'm not crazy about this guy's aider setup, specifically the fact that he seems to attach it to the top of this step and not the bottom. Attaching it above the anchor point could cause an instability issue should you lose your balance. Also, that aider isn't attached to him or anything, god forbid he drops it, hope he has a second one in his pocket! haha. 

He says in the video he's got a 2nd.  Some guys use some paracord and a caribiner and attach it to them.  I'm not a fan of aiders.  I just carry enough sticks; I'm not that weight sensitive.  Or, sometimes, I carry some strap on steps that I use in place of the aiders (i.e. between my sticks to stretch them out so I can carry fewer sticks).  

Actually, most guys I've talked to about them say its better to attach the aider at the top.  When you attach at the bottom and weight them, they kind of pull the stick away from the tree.  Also, if you're going to use one like he does it's a lot harder to reach down and pull it off the bottom to move it to the next step.

Anyway, as I said, I agree with you about aiders and I'm not a fan of them in any case.  Burn some extra calories, bring another stick and be safe.  That's my opinion anyway....

8 minutes ago, dlist777 said:

He says in the video he's got a 2nd.  Some guys use some paracord and a caribiner and attach it to them.  I'm not a fan of aiders.  I just carry enough sticks; I'm not that weight sensitive.  Or, sometimes, I carry some strap on steps that I use in place of the aiders (i.e. between my sticks to stretch them out so I can carry fewer sticks).  

Actually, most guys I've talked to about them say its better to attach the aider at the top.  When you attach at the bottom and weight them, they kind of pull the stick away from the tree.  Also, if you're going to use one like he does it's a lot harder to reach down and pull it off the bottom to move it to the next step.

Anyway, as I said, I agree with you about aiders and I'm not a fan of them in any case.  Burn some extra calories, bring another stick and be safe.  That's my opinion anyway....

My bad, I didn't have the sound on! I can see how that might be an issue with pulling the bottom away from the tree. 

• 3 weeks later...

With the steps you are using it looks like this is a permanent bait site. If so, and you set this site up in advance to return many times, then I don’t get the reason for using this  system which I thought was for going in blind and light. Why not hang a stand in this spot? 

Edited by Lunatic