IGNORED

Anyone familiar with wood stoves?

jerseybowhunter

Just bought a house that had a gas insert, I removed it and want to replace it with a wood stove... the flue for the furnace runs behind the wall so my 2 ideas are to leave the existing 45 wall and install the wood stove out in front and do a rock finish like a fireplace look which would take up a lot of room by the time I have the right clearances and the hearth or tear the wall down, build 2 walls to the corner to box in the furnace pipe and set the wood stove back farther. Anyone else have ideas? I don’t believe I could set the stove inside the cubby the way it is now because the clearance to the header wouldn’t be enough and it would hold a lot if heat and not be as efficient. I’m hoping to be able to remove the pipe from the gas fireplace and use that roof flange for the wood stove. I will be building a heat shield with a 1” air gap out of sheet metal and hardyback and finish it with a thin stone face. Ideally I’d like to keep the wall as is and maybe move the header up a few inches if need be and have the stove half in/half out the cubby so it’s not sticking way out into the living room but from everything I’ve read, you need to have minimum of 4-5’ clearance above the stove. Feel free to post pics of your setup. Also I’m alittle confused about the stove pipe, I need regular stove pipe from the stove to the attic into a support box then double wall pipe through the roof? 

FB3FA5B0-0F1A-43D3-8CE8-9B4D2DD70B71.jpeg

6C2995B3-98B6-48A2-B61C-CA9293B54FFD.jpeg

Its been a while since I installed mine, but I think you need double wall pipe if it runs inside your wall. Black, single wall pipe can only be used against fire resistant wall.
I think your idea of putting the stove half way in would work and it would look ok . First get the stove so you know the measurements. I believe that even with a fire  prove.stone walls you still need a minimum distance to the wall,(I am not sure what that distance is), which may prevent you from installing the stove inside the opening.  Get the code, read it and understand it before you start altering and spending money. what you learn in this thread maybe helpful but I would not go by it. 

Probably going to want to remove the 45 degree wall for code and appearance. Nothing better than a freestanding stove.  Find the code and get a permit. God forbid anything were to ever happen.

Just put 30 gallon drum stove in my garage with a permit. Single wall pipe with 20" wall clearance and a heatshield on 1" spacers, sheetrock behind. Triple wall up through the attic and roof. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, jerseybowhunter said:

Well I ended up relocating the furnace flue to the stairwell and opened up the whole corner, now just need to figure out a cheap stone face option. 

Looking good JB.  :up:

How's your wood supply?  :D