IGNORED

Update: Was able to recover my deer from the other day.

Matty

So I am a persistent bugger. I wouldn't give up on finding my deer, I never do. It always eats at me too much to let it go.

Kept canvasing the neighborhood from the vehicle with binoculars, yes I probably looked like a bearded maniac driving around like that, but too bad. I wanted to know the outcome of my deer. 

Today I eventually spotted something way back behind someones house that looked out of place. Couldn't determine what it was even with the binoculars. Finally after trying to see it from a few different angles on the street, I felt relatively confident it could be a dead deer. Went up, talked to that homeowner and they had no problem letting me go look. They didn't even know it was there. It was way back on the edge of the woods. Incredible that I even spotted it.

Shot was actually really good, just didn't get enough penetration to reach the vitals. There was no guts in it (yotes tore them out with most of the rear end) but the arrow was still in it and up into the liver but stopped shy of the opposite lung.in the diaphragm. Just too much body to get through for my light setup I guess. Buck went a total of about 359 yards according to a map distance tool.

So with the buck recovered, I'm back to 100% recovery rate for the season and I can rest a little easier. Now I feel ok with getting back out there to hunt soon. Even though it's sadly spoiled with the warm weather and time that went by. The foxes and yotes had somewhat of a feast but didn't devour it entirely, probably because of the proximity to the house.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.

Too bad I couldn't have spotted it the first day. I did the same thing that day, but with the snow, there was no way for me to see him down back there.

Oh well.

Glad to see my assessment of the shot was accurate and that the only thing I did wrong was rush the tracking job because of coyotes.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

48# G5 Quest Primal at 27" draw length.

Shooting 500 spine Easton ST Excel arrows with blazers cut to 27". (very light arrow at 7.3gpi which I may change along with going to a heavier broadhead for more FOC)....

Tipped this year with Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broadheads. The regular Muzzys.....

Unfortunately I can't really go any higher in draw weight, my shoulder has gotten worse recently. I cranked it down again some after coming home from the elk hunt. I think I had it up around 54-57# for that, but the shoulder kills me to practice so I turned it back down.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Hmmm yeah maybe a heavier arrow would give you a little more KE for more penetration. Also maybe a more cut on contact head or a two blader? Muzzys are a great head, I've killed a few deer with them, but that chisel tip versus a direct bladed tip might make a difference.

What's the shoulder injury? Can you rehab it?

Tore my rotator cuff back around like 2006 maybe...Don't recall when exactly.

I've done a lot with it just to be able to draw a bow again, but from what I was told it needed surgery to repair. I have a lot of problems though. LOL So it's just another pain I live with. 

Wish I could still shoot up in the mid 60's to 70's like most of my bowhunting years, but probably never will again. May end up going back to magnus stingers and heavier arrows, or something like that. Have had minor issues with penetration on a few more recent big bodied deer. Hadn't caused issues on recovery until this one though.

Edited by Matty

Thanks guys.

I was ready to quit for the season I was so upset. I still don't feel great about the outcome, but it's better to bring an end to the entire situation and have no questions on what happened than to be filled with doubt, questions and crushed confidence.