IGNORED

First dedicated predator rifle!

BowhunterNJ

So I've been doing a lot of research and talking to some guys over on PM, and looking at the regulations it appears .17 caliber rifles aren't permitted per the current regulations. Calibers such as .17Rem, .17HMR, .17 Hornet, etc are all .172 whereas the NJ minimum is .177. This doesn't make much sense as it sounds like they'd want to include .17 caliber otherwise they'd just start at .20 caliber. I sent an email to NJDFW and already got a response from Paul Tarlowe that it's been forwarded over to their law office, Andrew Burnett who is the head of the Upland Game/Furbearer management, and Carole Stanko who worked on the Game Code! Fast response, hopefully they'll update the regs to include .172 caliber! :up:

On a side note, it seems like a lot of guys like that .17Rem for sub 200 yard hunting, very fur friendly. From what I've read so far, you'll probably want to be in that 25+ grain bullet size though. Obviously a great round for foxes, some would be concerned about coyotes, but I've seen some pretty good results out there on them.

The .204R was also a round that came up quite a bit for similar needs :up:

Will keep you guys posted on what I hear back from NJDFW.

Judging by the amount of people talking about rifles....I predict predator season is going to be pure chaos this year. not this thread, but I've heard and read a lot of talk about preds this year...way more than ever before.

I hope they murder the hell out of the coyotes around here....But wait until all these guys realize just how hard yotes are to kill....lol

I guess the rifles will help considerably, but I hope all the newcomers understand all the rules. NO RIFLES AT NIGHT!!!! I'm actually a little afraid that people are not going to pay attention to the regs...just look at how many questions are always asked about deer season. lol....

Probably gonna have guys running around with AR's at night....I might sit this one out. lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

PAlawman,

You going NJ or PA? I will have to let you know. I have guns  but no calls. Is night vision legal in PA and NJ? I have the 3.5 for NJ, and the 06 for PA. Wish my Colt was NJ legal. It would have been cool to take that out.

Need ammo if we go NJ, and PA, have no idea what to bring. Can you use a shot gun in PA if we are driving?

I will let you know after the baby comes this week.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I have a 243 set up with a 6 x24 50 scope.    building a 5.56 black gun now.   The17 hmr is a little light for yotes out at the 100 yards  you will kill them but they will run.  I am looking at that new 17 super mag  little more take down yet still a rim fire.   Hey why can't I copy or paste on here anymore ?

ACP WILDLIFE CONTROL SERVICES AND ACP REDNECKS PRIDE

referral-0076111001448070575.jpg

Yeah, the .17HMR would be fine for foxes, but not for yotes IMO unless you were going for closer range headshots.

I'm looking at the .17Rem, very fur friendly and good range.

The biggest problem with the higher calibers is foxes more so than yotes...tears them up pretty good.

I'm trying to locate a .17Rem here in NJ, but might have to special order.

So I was looking at the PA laws:

Firearms For Hunting Furbearers:
It is unlawful to take furbearers, including bobcats, with shotguns using shot larger than size number 4 buckshot, or implements that are not lawful firearms, bows or crossbows. 
Manually operated rifles or handguns of any caliber, manual or semiautomatic shotguns and, bows and crossbows can be used.
Persons hunting for furbearers, including coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, skunks, opossums and weasels, may use gun-mounted lights that do not project a laser-light beam.
Dogs: Dogs are permitted to hunt furbearers.

Looks like semi-auto rifles are not permitted, something to keep in mind for that PA contest!