IGNORED

First dedicated predator rifle!

BowhunterNJ

Alright, so I'm going to put together a build for my first dedicated predator rifle…let the research begin! :)

Not overly worried about hide damage as I wouldn't be selling (or getting enough to sell), so I am probably going to look into something like a .223 or a .22-250

Also I don't reload, so I'll be looking at off the shelf ammo options.

Anyone have any experience with putting together a solid performing predator rifle?

I'll keep things update on this topic, so you guys can see the progression. I'll eventually get some range time in and post up some groups! :up:

22-250 is a neat round with a lot of horse power behind it. If you don't reload I would pass on the 22-250 and buy a 223. I would also resist the current train of thought of all varmit rifles need to be heavy barrelled. Think about a remington model 7 with a 1.75 to 6X scope.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

I'm actually thinking maybe I should just customize something for NJ specifically. Realistically, the ideal range for yotes here is certainly sub-200 yards (rifle range)…with most probably in that 75-150 yard range (at least from my experience of where I've seen them hang up and laugh at me while I'm toting a shotgun). Maybe something of a lesser caliber would be better suited…like a .17HMR (great for foxes and in that 75-150 yard range with a well placed shot, should be fine for yotes). Still reading/researching :)

When you mean customize my wallet gasped. It is ugly when you start heading down the high end gunsmith route. You will never look at a gun off the rack again and like it. I would pass on the 17hmr great round but not for what you are going to do with it. Have you looked at the 204 ruger? Most of your shots are going to be quick and at less than great angles the rim fires don't have enough ft-lbs. For example I shoot a 22 hornet at woodchucks and 35 grain Hornadys will not pass thru. My 222 with 40 grains will always pass thru. Which is what you are going to need to stop a coyote that is walking away.

Yeah ideally, I'd like to work with someone that can help me through the build. I don't mind spending a fair amount on a quality setup. I've been reading a lot through the PredatorMasters forum and man there are a lot of threads/opinions over there on the best gun haha

Do you know of any gunsmiths in the central or southern NJ area that I might be able to work with on a build?

I do not think there is any gunsmith in new jersey that can do more than change parts. Unless you consider G&H which comes with a cost. I have used James Kobe and Darell Holland with good results. James did a full custom with a wood stock and Darrell did a rebarrel on a 22-250. I think there is a good smith in Pa that I seen in the Precison Shooters mag I will need to look thru some old mags. Also Bob White from the shooters corner maybe able to do the work in a fair time frame.

I recently updraded to windows 8 and im thinking it was a bad move as now my computer wont recognize my ipad either...lol

I don't know whats going on now the hotlink button wont work either

Edited by Palawman30

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights