IGNORED

Muzzleloader suggestions.....from A to Z...

nmc02

I shoot triple 7 pellets. I run a brush down the barrel after each shot. Clean up after shooting takes 10 minutes with tap water. It's not a big deal to me at all. I clean my centerfire and rimfire rifles after shooting also. Shotguns too. Plus, I enjoy cleaning my guns.

I read this internet tale of no expansion with Powerbelts all the time. I posted in the past that I've killed about a half a dozen deer with Powerbelts, in reality when I think about it, it's probably 9 or 10. I've never had to blood trail one. They've all died within 50 yards and most within 20. One deer I did have to trail was a doe that I made a poor shot on and blew it's left front leg off. Luckily there was a light snow that day and I was able to get close enough for a follow up shot. That was not a problem with terminal performance but 100% shooter error.

With regard to a 245 gr, 1/2" diameter bullet traveling 2000 feet per second being equal to field tip equipped arrow traveling 240 feet per second......really? If you punch a 1/2" hole through both lungs and/or the heart of a deer with that much force the deer is dead and you'll see it go down. If your blood trailing a deer after being shot with a rifle you have a marginal or poor hit. Blaming the bullet comes right back to the Rage broadhead argument. 

I'll post again pictures of a Powerbelt bullet that I took out of a doe I killed. I shot it at 75 yards facing me. The shot hit the chest in front of the left leg. I took the slug out of the right rear leg. Now, I may just be very lucky, or maybe there's some magic involved, but the amazing thing to me is that none of the naysayers are ever able to post pictures to the contrary. Show me these hard cast, nonexpanding yet poor penetrating bullets. Otherwise it's all subjective. Poor blood trails are subjective too. If I do shoot magical bullets I'm putting all vampires, lycans and dragons on notice!

Being a proponent of a product or system is one thing. But when I hear or read of someone who seems to have an agenda AGAINST a product or system, especially one that others have very good results with, I have to ask why. Back to Rage again.

20181216_211451.jpg

20181216_211439.jpg

Edited by Woodsman416

14 hours ago, shoot2kill8 said:

I would not recommend using the Blackhorn volume tubes for measuring, they are great for storage but not very accurate for measuring.  Get yourself an actual brass powder measure, it will be a lot more accurate.  Or better yet buy a powder scale and measure by weight, but be aware measuring by volume and weight are not the same amount of powder

I have to disagree with this based on my experience over the past 5 years or so shooting nothing but blackhorn.  I have been using the tubes for years with no accuracy issues what so ever.  In the beginning I used a powder measure but it ended up being a waste of time.  I shoot 100 grains. Fill the tube up with a small funnel tap and re tap and keep the powder right on the charge line you want.  I have been doing it for years. Obviously using a measure is more accurate but I have been just fine using the tubes for measuring with the accuracy to prove it. To each his own as usual.

I used Power Belts for years and have taken maybe 20 deer with them.  I was using the 348 gr sabot with 2 pellets.  The one problem I had was that they would break apart inside the deer cavity but the deer would fall over dead.  I changed to the Barnes EZ sabots  when the state started the mzl bear season bc I did not feel that the PB would be lethal for a bear.   I have taken several deer with the EZ sabots but they are a extremely hard to get down the barrel.  I since have changed (this year) to the Federal Premium B.O.R Lock Trophy Copper sabots.  They load significantly easier but have not shot anything with them.  Anyone have any experience with the BOR Lock sabots?

5 hours ago, Woodsman416 said:

I shoot triple 7 pellets. I run a brush down the barrel after each shot. Clean up after shooting takes 10 minutes with tap water. It's not a big deal to me at all. I clean my centerfire and rimfire rifles after shooting also. Shotguns too. Plus, I enjoy cleaning my guns.

I read this internet tale of no expansion with Powerbelts all the time. I posted in the past that I've killed about a half a dozen deer with Powerbelts, in reality when I think about it, it's probably 9 or 10. I've never had to blood trail one. They've all died within 50 yards and most within 20. One deer I did have to trail was a doe that I made a poor shot on and blew it's left front leg off. Luckily there was a light snow that day and I was able to get close enough for a follow up shot. That was not a problem with terminal performance but 100% shooter error.

With regard to a 245 gr, 1/2" diameter bullet traveling 2000 feet per second being equal to field tip equipped arrow traveling 240 feet per second......really? If you punch a 1/2" hole through both lungs and/or the heart of a deer with that much force the deer is dead and you'll see it go down. If your blood trailing a deer after being shot with a rifle you have a marginal or poor hit. Blaming the bullet comes right back to the Rage broadhead argument. 

I'll post again pictures of a Powerbelt bullet that I took out of a doe I killed. I shot it at 75 yards facing me. The shot hit the chest in front of the left leg. I took the slug out of the right rear leg. Now, I may just be very lucky, or maybe there's some magic involved, but the amazing thing to me is that none of the naysayers are ever able to post pictures to the contrary. Show me these hard cast, nonexpanding yet poor penetrating bullets. Otherwise it's all subjective. Poor blood trails are subjective too. If I do shoot magical bullets I'm putting all vampires, lycans and dragons on notice!

Being a proponent of a product or system is one thing. But when I hear or read of someone who seems to have an agenda AGAINST a product or system, especially one that others have very good results with, I have to ask why. Back to Rage again.

20181216_211451.jpg

20181216_211439.jpg

Thats the best PB i've ever seen.  I used to use them religiously, great on paper, horrible on game.  I have shot about ten deer with them.  I agree that the deer dont go far.  However, I had one bad shot on one and it doesnt help that theres no blood trail.  Bad shot on my part, but it ended with a wasted deer.  I always feared the what if the deer goes more then 50 yards...that one day became a reality and I have since changed.  All of my bullets came out looking like they went in.  

Look at the ballastic gelatin tests on Powerbelts.....they are pathetic.......after watching I switched to the Barnes TEZ bullets....Barnes bullets are devastating..............They may have newer and better products now....but that old standard powerbelt could not be shot with confidence.............IMO..... To be fair I hunt with guys that use the TC shokwave and a Hornady bullet with great results as well....We all left the PB's behind many years ago.

47 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I simply eyeball it using the blackhorn powder tubes...rep from blackhorn told me there is no reason to weigh. I simply fill (not packed) to the 120 line at eye level and that's it. 

Same here. I fill to the 90 grain line. Zero issues with the blackhorn tubes since I have bought the Accura....