IGNORED

Sorry for my dog

pjb

Go to whatever WMA about an hour or two after start time and its amazing how many guys have been there and are gone.There is plenty of scent and birds still around and a perfect environment to work with your dog.  A dog new to this is way, way overwhelmed if you're there at start time. Shots going off, guys hollering at dogs it's crazy. Even I can't handle it so I go after the rush. Go later and spend time working together to establish a relationship. And if your dog is headstrong like my GSP then even in our 3rd year together I'm still having to reaffirm to her that I am in charge because she's about hunting and finding a bird.

And, I have done exactly what you have and left a collar or the remote and one time both my vest and gun at home. DUH !!!  So, I now get everything ready and in the truck the night before so In the morning all I need are my keys, wallet, phone and dog and I'm good to go.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Go to whatever WMA about an hour or two after start time and its amazing how many guys have been there and are gone.There is plenty of scent and birds still around and a perfect environment to work with your dog.  A dog new to this is way, way overwhelmed if you're there at start time. Shots going off, guys hollering at dogs it's crazy. Even I can't handle it so I go after the rush. Go later and spend time working together to establish a relationship. And if your dog is headstrong like my GSP then even in our 3rd year together I'm still having to reaffirm to her that I am in charge because she's about hunting and finding a bird.
And, I have done exactly what you have and left a collar or the remote and one time both my vest and gun at home. DUH !!!  So, I now get everything ready and in the truck the night before so In the morning all I need are my keys, wallet, phone and dog and I'm good to go.

I definitely failed to prepare last night. We talked about going after the morning rush all year and I pushed it this morning. Plan your work and work your plan. I got anxious and pushed it today. I think next week we will be going out around 9.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, pjb said:

I have to add. He was great in the late morning in Greenwood. There weren't a lot of people. Nice and quiet. He worked the fields nicely with little distractions. 

We were at Greenwood at start time this morning.  Lots of shooting but fortunately it is large and everyone spreads out, the guys you see are 75 to 100 yds distant from you so thats where we go  on Saturdays. Weekdays, I live near Assunpink but go to Colliers  for about 8 to 8:30 and just us old retired guys and maybe a few who took the day off are around.

We were at Greenwood at start time this morning.  Lots of shooting but fortunately it is large and everyone spreads out, the guys you see are 75 to 100 yds distant from you so thats where we go  on Saturdays. Weekdays, I live near Assunpink but go to Colliers  for about 8 to 8:30 and just us old retired guys and maybe a few who took the day off are around.
I'm thinking about changing my morning routine. Greenwood in the morning and Collier's or Assunpink in the late morning. I have all three within 20-30 minutes.

46 minutes ago, pjb said:

Yes he comes sits stays. All good. Today he just felt like he didn't need to listen around other dogs.

This is why I train my dog with other dogs (back when I had dogs).  We used to do obedience training with other dogs and owners.  The lesson for the dogs is that they need to listen to you and only you regardless of what's going on.  You're the alpha, and at times corrections were necessary to remind the dog of that.  If you can go with a couple of other folks who have well-trained dogs, your dog may learn from them that he needs to listen to his alpha.

Best of luck!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

He is still young. It sounds like he gets over stimulated and loses focus. Try to put your pup  in hunting situations with less hunters and dogs. It's difficult, but don't get frustrated, keep it simple, keep reinforcing the basics and maintain Patience and Persistence!

Edited by Batsto

"I thought his obedience was good. The distractions in the field have proven otherwise. We will be going back to square one. It was overwhelming for him....Collier's Mills sunrise hunt. It can be overwhelming for me at times."

Great words of advice! Remember, your training this dog is not about this year's hunts; it's about next years and the years beyond that.  He needs to crawl before he can run!

1sm260gun1.gif

He is still young. It sounds like he gets over stimulated and loses focus. Try to put your pup  in hunting situations with less hunters and dogs. It's difficult, but don't get frustrated, keep it simple, keep reinforcing the basics and maintain Patience and Persistence!
I was trying not to get frustrated. I feel the dog picks up on that. I put his leash on when too many people were around and calmed him down. I think next week I will start in Greenwood like someone suggested. This week we will be working on commands.

1 hour ago, pjb said:

I was trying not to get frustrated. I feel the dog picks up on that. I put his leash on when too many people were around and calmed him down. I think next week I will start in Greenwood like someone suggested. This week we will be working on commands.

Does he have a favorite toy that he will retrieve no matter what? If he does, bring it and some familiar things as kennel items. It's all a game! If he begins to lose focus....it's game time. 

3 hours ago, pjb said:

I think next week I will start in Greenwood like someone suggested. 

Whatever start time is this  coming Saturday I'd suggest being in the parking lot at that time and not in the field. That way you will be walking in when the shooting starts and not in the middle of it. By the time you get to the fields the shooting will have subsided a bit and the guys and dogs will have spread out. There will be plenty of single birds around and even a covey or two then you can choose which direction to go in to avoid others. 

Like Williemo said "Remember, your training this dog is not about this year's hunts; it's about next years and the years beyond that.  He needs to crawl before he can run! ".

By the way what type of dog do you have..... I missed that I think.