IGNORED

A Daytime Bear Pic & Others

Ms Grit

Well, I finally got a daytime pic (most of my daytime pictures have been at 5pm) of one of the bears at my bear spot. Excited to see this . . .

20131120906am.jpg

And not only did the guy above show up in the morning, I've been believing that I had 2 different bears, but no actual proof, but here it FINALLY is . . . 2 spots, 30 yards apart, each with a picture of a bear at the same time . . .

20131120537pmDeerSpot.jpg

20131120537pmBearSpot.jpg

And 3 seconds later, a bear is still at the first location . . .

20131120538pmDeerSpot.jpg

And in this picture, there is another set of eyes to the left of the tree with the bright eyes which are spaced 1ft apart. I couldn't clean up the picture enough to try to figure out if it's a raccoon or another bear watching . . .

201311210304amTwoSetOfEyes.jpg

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Robin, best of luck !!!  What's your choice of firearm for the hunt?

I'll probably be hunting with my 20 gauge H&R Slug Gun, just not too comfortable that it's only a single shot gun.

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

I'll probably be hunting with my 20 gauge H&R Slug Gun, just not too comfortable that it's only a single shot gun.

I own one, and it's a tack driver one shot is all is needed. Last year my friend shot a 400 plus pound bear at 60 yds with his Savage 220f, the 20ga is great bear medicine, I will be out with mine

Best of luck to you BHC !!! I heard that the Division expects the harvest numbers to be down this year from last for several reasons, but I hope we all can be successful and prove them wrong . . .

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Best of luck to you BHC !!! I heard that the Division expects the harvest numbers to be down this year from last for several reasons, but I hope we all can be successful and prove them wrong . . .

I don't see how, unless with get a long cold snap before and during the bear hunt, sending many into a deep sleep

While I have no desire to hunt bear, I wish you all a lot of success this year.

Sometimes when I prepare bear meals Sam, I enjoy them better than venison.

NRA Life Member

UBNJ Member

Sometimes when I prepare bear meals Sam, I enjoy them better than venison.

I can certainly believe that, from some of your pics. You're a great cook.

But I can also see the amount of work that goes into bear hunting. I give you a lot of credit for your persistence.

I just can't commit to that kind of time right now. Who knows, maybe someday...

You'll get him!!! 

Only reason I could see bear numbers being down this year is because of the lower number of hunters that bought permits. Everything else seems to be right for a good bear season, unless we're in for some frigid weather I don't know about.

However, I kind of believe the 10%/90% rule. 10% of the hunters probably shoot 90% of the bears anyway, so maybe with fewer bait piles, less pressure, and less competition, the success rates for those out there will be higher. The hunters that did purchase permits are probably more seasoned now, and understand the effort and work that goes into being successful on bears. It ain't easy to get bears and keep them on bait this time of year as I'm sure a lot of people have learned. 

Me, I won't be running any baits this year, might not even get out for bears, but if I do, I'll probably blow my dying rabbit distress call to see if I can get some to come a running in. 

Called them in several times during predator season and also a couple times out in PA when I used to bear hunt there. Not the most productive way, but fun nonetheless. 

Good luck to everyone looking for Yogi!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Ms Grit,

Good luck on your quest, it's a ton of work but very rewarding when it all comes together. This will be my 4th season running bear baits and I have been fortunate to take bears 2 of the last 3 seasons, on public property.

Two things I do that I really believe make a huge difference in getting multiple bears on the bait during shooting hours...lots of used cooking oil from my local Chinese restaurant spread on and around the bait pile, and making sure I get a pile of bear crap from another area and put it next to the bait pie. Hey, if your dumpster diving already, what's a little bear poop gonna hurt!

The oil gets on the paws and the local bears spread the scent all over the woods that other bears follow to the pile...good stuff, and the relocated bear crap lets the local bear know there is competition at the pile...meaning get to the dinner plate earlier.

Good luck, and make sure you have a few helpers on standby...big bears/big work.

Ray

Opportunity expands in proportion to one's courage.