IGNORED

almost got skunk'ed just now

My first post in the trapping forum :) No, I'm not a trapper, but I do play one on TV.

Last week, twice I found a groundhog hanging out on my deck eating the wife's plants. She's not a fan. I found out he has been a busy little beaver digging a hole under my deck and the neighbor's shed. I borrowed a friend's hav-a-heart and had it out the past couple days. No sign of the beast, but I have only baited with tomatoes. I figure, today, I'm baiting the trap with cantelope - the filet mignon of groundhog cuisine.

Now, every evening when the sun goes down and its dark, I always go out and close the trap to avoid trapping skunks overnight.

I know I have skunks in the area. I have NO idea where they live, but I have seen them around over the years in my back yard.

Well, just a little while ago, sun went down, so I open the back door to go close the trap for the night. What do I see about 5 feet from the trap - and about 15 feet away from me? Yeaup - ol' Pepe Le Pew. I didn't see him at first - I open the door and take one step out and it's then I see this black and white tail stand straight up at attention and Pepe just stands still. Well, needless to say, I quickly put it in reverse and stepped back into the door. PHEW! Now all I keep thinking is, "please don't go in the trap, please don't go in the trap, please don't go in the trap....". I crack the door open and talk to him in  a firm, but very polite!, voice - hey you! Go away! He scurries away and I quickly go close the trap and get back inside.

I don't care what people say about skunks - how they rarely will spray unless you corner them or whatever - when you got the rear-end of a skunk in full display with a tail pointing to the sky, you kind of freak out a bit :)

Needless to say, I will be very careful with this hav-a-heart trap. And I better get this groundhog soon!

I target skunks during the season and have been lit up a few times. Hedge hogs are tough to trap in those traps. You may need another plan of attack

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

9 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

I target skunks during the season and have been lit up a few times. Hedge hogs are tough to trap in those traps. You may need another plan of attack

I use a Have a heart trap no problem for Ground Hogs they love apples cut up. Skunks, Possums, Racoons all have met my Trap. Used from Apple to Sardines but I was trying to trap a cat with sardine or cat food all I got were Skunks.  But with all, I trap there seems there are more about but for the ground Hogs since I gave up my Veg. Garden. they moved on. The Cat still eludes me. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

1 hour ago, Shootemthenmountem said:

Be careful if you have a dog also

You ain't kidding!

My dog got sprayed about 8 months ago and dealing with that was a horrible experience. My son got sent home from school because of the smell and the smell lingered in the house for weeks!!!

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

6 hours ago, 3Blade said:

You ain't kidding!

My dog got sprayed about 8 months ago and dealing with that was a horrible experience. My son got sent home from school because of the smell and the smell lingered in the house for weeks!!!

Go online and order a product called pure ayre. When I was in the pet industry my groomers dealt with 30+ skunked dogs a year. It is all natural and is human grade--(you could drink it) and can be sprayed on face and anywhere else on your dogs body. Spray the dog down, shampoo the dog and then spray him a second time and it is like it never happened. That natures miracle stuff on the market does not do half the job of the pure ayre.