IGNORED

difference between semi-wild and commercial preserve?

mazzgolf

What is the difference between a "semi-wild" and "commercial" preserve?  :confused:

The season dates specified in the Digest are different if hunting upland birds on semi-wild vs. commercial, but they don't define what makes one semi-wild and another commercial. :think:

commercial runs a much longer season .. Semi -wild clubs put out birds and generally hunt until mid march. Sometimes longer if state extends season due to weather.... 

he asked what is the difference between semi and commercial. He knows commercial is longer, hence the question :happywave:

Obviously like you I don't have the answer

Edited by Lunatic

I don't know the exact regulations...but...

Typically...a commercial shooting preserve is open to the general public, a semi-wild preserve, typically, is not.

Typically... a commercial shooting preserve will have one day licenses available for sale.  I suspect one day licenses are not available for semi-wild.  I certainly have never seen them at one. 

Typically... guides and dogs and even shotguns are available "for rent" at commercial shooting preserves and there is ammo for sale.   Semi- wild... typically not.

I believe the previous poster had it pretty much right when they said commercial preserves were a for profit business and semi-wild preserves were more of a club situation. 

The principal draw for folks to go to a semi-wild status is( I think) the ability to bird hunt on Sunday, on  private property and the extended season. 

RayG

I mean on the terms that it’s your livelihood

I don’t know for certain but I looked into semi wild for a piece of land I lease

From what I skimmed through is semi wild is so many birds to be realeased on so many acres

Later start date then commercial and earlier end date then commercial

Records of birds purchased and members info needed to be provided to the state

I don’t know what commercial needs but I have hunted a handful of commercial preserves frequently and I don’t think they require your info to go to the state

Our club has a commercial shooting preserve license, the season goes from 9/1 to 5/1.  The commercial license costs twice what the semi-wild (think) $350 vs $175.  If I was running the show I would always opt for a commercial license so you can shoot and kill birds while training in Sept and Oct.

What gets me is you need receipt of birds purchased from a approved supplier.

What if I want to raise or hatch my own for a percent of the price an approved supplier charges?

Is it even possible to do that without a big hassle

Our club has a commercial shooting preserve license, the season goes from 9/1 to 5/1.  The commercial license costs twice what the semi-wild (think) $350 vs $175.  If I was running the show I would always opt for a commercial license so you can shoot and kill birds while training in Sept and Oct.

We have the answer. It is little more money, well worth it IMO

What if I want to raise or hatch my own for a percent of the price an approved supplier charges?

The worry about disease and I don't blame them.

What you are looking for might be here:  http://njfishandwildlife.com/semi-wild_preserves.htm

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.