IGNORED

Turkey huntings future?

Buckeyes11

That spot is crazy loaded with turkeys. Definitely better with cats.

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

I had a spot like that last year come turkey season all gone crazy

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

as the shotgun and ammo improves so does the distance get further away.....Look at the advancements of the rifled slug gun and sabot slugs......when I was a kid I had a smoothbore and rifled slugs I was told 75 yards at best if you're real good 100 yards.....Now that's easy

So what are guys seeing scouting any pics?

Don’t have pics but rabbit hunting a new spot a couple weeks ago i counted a total of 23 birds between two differant fields. Interesting peice of public land no one knows about since a farmer leases the fields but posts the whole property. Looks promising

AWM

Don’t have pics but rabbit hunting a new spot a couple weeks ago i counted a total of 23 birds between two differant fields. Interesting peice of public land no one knows about since a farmer leases the fields but posts the whole property. Looks promising

Pretty awesome when you find a honey hole hope it works out

Dick move by the farmer. Robbing people

of public land. Hope he gets caught

Yes I call them in.... Gobble Gobble... Spit drum spit drum... BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dirt Nap!Β  The end! :happywave:

Β 

Then again a lot of situations are different. Knowing the effective range of your weapon is key!!

Β 

I guess I see both sides! :rant:Β  :rant:Β  :rant:Β Just be ethical damn it!!

Yes sir, well said. There are times where you have worked a bird multiple days there gets his spurs into you, it's nice to know if he is 40-50 you can ethically kill him if you want. There are also times where you can be wrong guessing the yardage.Β 

I have personally seen a bird taken at 63, 58 and 72 yards. The 63 I was facing the other way calling, my friend and his brother were facing the bird and we worked it for 2 hours. He finally sounded close and they both said he was 40 so I said take him, dropped and only flopped, walked it off and was 63. Same field I worked a real good bird with 3 sub toms and 10 hens for 3 hours,Β  finally convinced the boss hen and him to come, I know my gun well...open field and thought 45...dropped was 58.Β  Β 3 years ago with a good friend and videoed we both thought the long beard was 50, again open field and again he knows his gun very well and knows the pattern, shot and dropped. as we got up and looked we looked at each other and said embarrassed that's further then 50. was 72 yards :shock:Β  :rofl:

Now with that said I want them in my lap and 3/4 of my birds I've killed and those I've called in for others have been taken at 20 or less.....but it is nice to know your gun and ethical limits. It's not about the kill it's about the hunt.

Vice President Piedmont ChapterΒ NWTF, Christian Bowhunter, NRA,Β  EX resident of Communist Jersey

Β 

Just a generalΒ observation, but turkeys have adapted some in the last 10 years, and some guys like to get an edge. Nothing wrong with a 50 yard shot if that's what you want to do and have the right gear to do it with. Some states allow you to hunt with a rifle.

Like Jay said, just be ethical.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Agreed closer is better and as I said the majority of mine and those I've called in for others have been closer than 20 yards.

But certain birds (i've you've hunted them long enough we've allΒ  had them birds LOL)Β  and certain situations can call for a further shot as long as you know the ethical distance of your gun.Β  They have never been desperation shots, or first attempt and as soon as he hits 45 yards boom.Β 

Β 

But as long as it's legal and ethical everyone should hunt the way they like. DifferentΒ  strokes for different folks, some run and gun and call, some bow, some in other states rifle, some blinds, some muzzleloader, some won't shot unless 10 yards, some 20...

No matter what season will be here soon and I'm pumped and excited!!!! GOOD LUCK ALL and like Burger King have and enjoy it your way!!

Vice President Piedmont ChapterΒ NWTF, Christian Bowhunter, NRA,Β  EX resident of Communist Jersey

Β 

one day a few years back i set up by a rock wall. a jake was raising hell with a bunch of hens in some heavy cover, as they came into sight, one of the hens broke away. she was all upset and came over the wall and ran over my legs. the jake was in the middle of the other hens,i stood up and there was a big covey rise including the jake,what a sight.