IGNORED

New Hunter, What should I start with?

BowsNGuns91

How old are you and how long have you had your license?

I'm 26, I've my license for about a month now. I know it was not the best time to get it but I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'm planning on buying an 870 asap so I can practice skeet shooting. I think it would be fun to hunt rabit and squirrel with an air rifle, will probably get on of those as well.

I'm going to be a first time father in Aug and would love to be able to bond with my child with the outdoors. The thought of him/her staring at a screen all day terrifies me.

At any rate thanks for the feedback, i'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Feel free to leave more

Feedback. I need all the help I can get lol.

If you don't already know, in the northern corner of your county is Ringwood State Park. Thunder Mountain Trap & Skeet is near the lake there. They have a special area off to the side where gun novices go to shoot.

If you buy a box of shells from them. they lend you a nice little 20 gauge autoloading shotgun. You, and a small group of other newbies, will shoot at slow, close-by clay targets. And, you'll be hitting them in no time. The young guy working the trap.machine can give you very rudimental gun mounting instruction.

Of course, you can shoot some clay targets yourself at a state Wildlife Management Area that has a trap range, if you buy yourself a portable trap machine or go with a friend and use a hand thrower. But, a place like Thunder Mountain is fun. I've taken non-gun people from my office there.

Anyway .... welcome, and have fun. 

I think it would be fun to hunt rabit and squirrel with an air rifle, will probably get on of those as well.

It is VERY fun. Now that I have an airgun, that is what I mainly use when I go out squirrelin'! Here's what I got - Benjamin Titan NP .22. I got it at Cabelas in DE, very cheap but very effective. I did upgrade the scope and trigger (as that post details), but its manageable without having to do that. There are better ones out there, but they are more expensive.

I'm going to be a first time father in Aug and would love to be able to bond with my child with the outdoors. The thought of him/her staring at a screen all day terrifies me.

Congrats. Yes, once they get their hands on a ipod or ipad, its all over. Delay getting the kid one. I speak from experience :)

I'm 26, I've my license for about a month now. I know it was not the best time to get it but I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'm planning on buying an 870 asap so I can practice skeet shooting. I think it would be fun to hunt rabit and squirrel with an air rifle, will probably get on of those as well.

At any rate thanks for the feedback, i'll keep you guys posted on the progress. Feel free to leave more

Feedback. I need all the help I can get lol.

Bows, 

Good luck and congrats on becoming a first time dad!! Its the best way to bond with your son or daughter!!!

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

I would actually start with trout right now season's coming up.

Seriously antler shed hunting right now small game anything to get you out in the woods Predator you probably need somebody to hold your hand on that one.

Ideally finding where the deer hang out and getting a tree picked out for next season then sitting in it for all day hunts will teach you more than anyone of us can tell you.

I'm a Noob only been hunting 3 years myself. Just getting out in the woods and learning the lay of the land will help you with any form of hunting.

Good luck and enjoy

Always remember safety is most important and if your in tree have a harness safety line.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would actually start with trout right now season's coming up.

Ideally finding where the deer hang out and getting a tree picked out for next season then sitting in it for all day hunts will teach you more than anyone of us can tell you.

Oh, very good point! One reason I am going out squirrel hunting in the morning the past couple weeks is to look for turkeys for turkey season coming up in a couple months! So I'm hunting squirrels purposefully in some of my turkey areas so I can also try to find the turkeys or at least sign of them (I'm hearing some gobbles already in the morning, and, in fact, I spotted four Toms a couple days ago - where they were last year, too, but at least I can confirm they are back again :-)

Small game hunting this time of year is great for secondary scouting for turkey and deer and anything else you want to look for.

I'm going to be a first time father in Aug and would love to be able to bond with my child with the outdoors. 

That's so great Bows, congratulations.   :up:  :up:

A great way to learn the ropes is to hook up with people in your area that hunt.  We are having a get-together on March 10th if you are interested.

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/18858-man-stuff-march-10/