IGNORED

which climbing harness?

mazzgolf

I use a tree strap like those that come with the normal harness that comes with every tree stand.

I smap a carabiner to that which is attached to a 4' rabbit runner ( its made of 1" tubular nylon made for rock climbing)

the other end attaches to my harness with another carabiner.

The tree strap get put on the tree approx eye level. so when standing it has a loop that hangs down out of the way, but is long enough to allow me to sit without it pulling

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Summit SOP

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I use a tree strap like those that come with the normal harness that comes with every tree stand.

I smap a carabiner to that which is attached to a 4' rabbit runner ( its made of 1" tubular nylon made for rock climbing)

the other end attaches to my harness with another carabiner.

The tree strap get put on the tree approx eye level. so when standing it has a loop that hangs down out of the way, but is long enough to allow me to sit without it pulling

Belay loop, rabbit runner - I need google to learn all these rock climbing terms :)

BUT! Rabbit runner looks perfect! Can those absorb the shock of a person's falling and then hold the weight? I assume so if it's made for rock climbing. But maybe not if they are made to only be under load for gear and not to absorb a shock from a fall? I dunno - I know nothing about rock climbing :)

hammer4reel - where'd you get your rabbit runner? The only ones I can find have obnoxiously bright colors like bright yellow and red and blue :) I'd prefer black, but can't find any online.

For the tree strap I use a rope with a prusik knot. The knot allows you to adjust the length of the rope you are attaching to. You want to be tight but also have the ability to slide the knot down if you need to reach for something low.

Yes, that is what I'm planning on using and what I tested yesterday, with a slight change.

The problem is - those tree ropes (as I understand it) need the prussic knot slid up tight against the rope loop that wraps around the tree (so the loop around the tree stays tight).  The hunting harnesses work with this because they have the safety strap on the back that is a few feet long - that length of harness safety strap is what gives you room to move (and now that I think about it - that safety strap on the back is nothing more than a rabbit runner with one end attached to the back of the harness).

What I did was kept the original prussic knot (so I can do what I say, slide it tight at the top of the rope strap against the tree) but I added a second prussic knot/carabiner that I then slide down the extra length of tree strap rope and attach to the belay loop on the harness, which gives me room to move.

But I didn't like the whole "need two prussic knots on my tree strap" thing. I was hoping I could just have a carabiner on the belay loop and connect some rope to that belay loop and the prussic knot's carabiner that it slid up top, tight on the tree strap/tree. A rabbit runner looks perfect for that.

All that said, having a tree strap with two prussic knots/carabiners isn't horrible. It is what I plan on using this week.

Belay loop, rabbit runner - I need google to learn all these rock climbing terms :)

BUT! Rabbit runner looks perfect! Can those absorb the shock of a person's falling and then hold the weight? I assume so if it's made for rock climbing. But maybe not if they are made to only be under load for gear and not to absorb a shock from a fall? I dunno - I know nothing about rock climbing :)

hammer4reel - where'd you get your rabbit runner? The only ones I can find have obnoxiously bright colors like bright yellow and red and blue :) I'd prefer black, but can't find any online.

I got them on ebay. a guy custom makes them .

1" tubular nylon is rated for 5000 pounds

I had them made in both green and black

you can also use tubular nylon and tie a water knot to double it up.

that can be bought at eastern mountain sports or rei

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-NEW-DRAWS-xx-mm-x-44-long-OR-YOUR-choice-webb-type-RABBIT-RUNNERS-custoMADE-/261037085959?hash=item3cc705d507

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

• 7 months later...
default_offtopic.gif    I have one of these with the line attachment If anyone interested it is Free Picked up Monmouth County 

OSHA approved   To Avoid confusion first Firm reply gets it 
post-1645-0-09277700-1512400181.jpg
post-1645-0-33457800-1512400600.jpg
Harness yes, shock absobing lanyard, no!
Check your manufacturer specs, that lanyard breaks your fall but expands up to 3.5'.
The established OSHA above 6' fall protection jobsite rule was strange when the shock absorbing lanyard isn't fully expanded yet after you hit the ground from 12'. @Osha30