IGNORED

Squirrels- good or bad?

I agree the squirrels should help, but they won't help me hunt here in my lifetime.. and by time I have a kid to hunt here, the laws probably won't allow it..

So it's a loosing battle. I'm looking for cover- more than feed at this point I guess..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

An oak will produce acorns about 15 years after sprouting.  The cover you have or will have in short time and without needing to plant.  My guess is you had a lot more low growth this season than before all the tree cutting.  That will only accelerate until about year 7 when you won't be able to see into the thick forest in places.  But that is more for a complete clearcut.  You have a modified seed tree forest where it was heavily cut.  But there should still be a lot more light getting in to the forest floor.

2 dislikes care to explain your selfs???

Please explain to Jay why if his goal is to shoot more deer on his property he should only plant things that deer don't eat.  Does that make any sense to you?  If so, please elaborate.  I'd love to hear it.  

And would it change your mind if you knew I do this for my living in roughly 8 states right now?  Natural resources restoration is what I do.  Forestry and river restoration go hand in hand.  We can't have healthy streams if we don't have healthy forests.  

I doubt an overabundance of squirrels is going to hamper your efforts to create cover.  I would say the biggest hurdles you face are sunlight and deer browsing the young vegetation....but, if the squirrels are annoying you that much, dumping corn for deer aint helping.  :up:

I doubt an overabundance of squirrels is going to hamper your efforts to create cover. I would say the biggest hurdles you face are sunlight and deer browsing the young vegetation....but, if the squirrels are annoying you that much, dumping corn for deer aint helping. :up:

I dont mind the squirrels..they don't touch the corn and it gives me something to look at because deer are far and few between lol.

I was gonna shoot some but didn't wanna hurt my chances of them helping bury nuts..

The squirrels don't touch your corn? Wow! I have pictures of like 30 squirrels at once feeding on corn when I used to bait. The only thing the squirrels wouldn't touch by me was sweet feed.

Last year they did.. but this season I'm using corn on cob and they haven't bothered with it..

Please explain to Jay why if his goal is to shoot more deer on his property he should only plant things that deer don't eat.  Does that make any sense to you?  If so, please elaborate.  I'd love to hear it.  

And would it change your mind if you knew I do this for my living in roughly 8 states right now?  Natural resources restoration is what I do.  Forestry and river restoration go hand in hand.  We can't have healthy streams if we don't have healthy forests.  

Cover crops are just as important as providing trees that take decades to develop as Oaks Old forest as well as open land are poor providers for any wildlife No Degree is needed to see what over browsing can do in a short time many Parks and Plots of land can be devastated with trying to provide a habitat. 

For someone to do it on a small scale can be a hard road to go down. 

I come from a long line of Farmers that manage both deer and Plantings and it runs in Cycles just as The deer in my area that eats out the natural habitat and turn to the  Landscaping around the Estates. with no deer control in place but Bumper Harvesting along the Roads.  

For Jay to Plant for deer what stops them from devouring it as he Plants. 

What success have you had in NJ with forest restoration. and where. Thanks in advance 

Oaks under good conditions can grow a foot a year so in 12 years it is 12 foot after being pruned by deer and other creatures it can be stunted or gone. what is your soil like determines what might be a success? Or just have Busksnbows  do a plot for you Pro Bono  

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

What success have you had in NJ with forest restoration. and where. Thanks in advance 

Oaks under good conditions can grow a foot a year so in 12 years it is 12 foot after being pruned by deer and other creatures it can be stunted or gone. what is your soil like determines what might be a success? Or just have Busksnbows  do a plot for you Pro Bono  

https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/6815-two-new-habitat-projects-for-my-zone-6-property/