IGNORED

Need advice on shotgun for deer

Hey I didn't know that.. I thought you had to have a scope.. But anyway.. The law says I need one of those, But my shooting skills at the ranges I expect to make a kill say I don't.. So i'll use what came with the gun.. Just that bead at the end of the barrel.. Works good if you practice a little.. And since I've been using the same gun for 40 years, I don't even have to use the bead anymore.. But I do anyway ..  ... Anyway, Down here in VA there are no such laws about scopes and iron sites on shot guns.. Me and a friend were discussing using slugs not to long ago and plan on going to the range and see just how accurate they are out to what ranges.. So I may give them a try in the future...

My Dad used the same Browning Auto 5 since he was 16 for deer.  Always loaded slug, buckshot, slug.   At age 80 or so they made the law that he had to have sights on his shotgun if he wanted to use slug.  He said they can give this 80 year old man a ticket, I'm not putting sights on it after more than 60 years~  lol

My Dad used the same Browning Auto 5 since he was 16 for deer.  Always loaded slug, buckshot, slug.   At age 80 or so they made the law that he had to have sights on his shotgun if he wanted to use slug.  He said they can give this 80 year old man a ticket, I'm not putting sights on it after more than 60 years~  lol

you have that a5?

I always favored #1

Yeah  don't think u can go wrong with #1.. You don't give up much with that or 0 vs. 00.. you gain a few more pellets though, and that may make the difference.. The only reason I didn't switch to #1 is because I had such good success with 00 I only felt I needed a little tweak.. so 0 it was..

:D

Yeah  don't think u can go wrong with #1.. You don't give up much with that or 0 vs. 00.. you gain a few more pellets though, and that may make the difference.. The only reason I didn't switch to #1 is because I had such good success with 00 I only felt I needed a little tweak.. so 0 it was..

I got a few boxes of 3inch magnum#1 I shoot them out of my rem 1100 I believe the barrel is 30 or 32 inches it's a older gun patterns well though

Naw man.. I just got this thing about shot guns and scopes.. I just don't think they were made for each other.. Perhaps my thinking is a bit antiquated but, To me its ridiculous.. 

When you put good glass on a shotgun with a rifled barrel shooting modern sabots, you're effectively shooting a rifle masquerading as a shotgun.  There's nothing "ridiculous" about making your firearm as accurate and deadly as humanly possible.  

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Can't help you, I refuse ever to use buckshot again

Amen.  In 2016, there's no need to use buckshot.

Folks who still do either are set in their ways because, "they've always used it" or simply dont know much about hunting ammunition choices (and often both).   There's a reason why buckshot sales decline every year and its' use on deer is going the way of the dodo bird.  My guess is in 20 years it will be difficult to find on store shelves, other than as a self-defense choice.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Folks who still do either are set in their ways because, "they've always used it" or simply dont know much about hunting ammunition choices (and often both).   There's a reason why buckshot sales decline every year and its' use on deer is going the way of the dodo bird.  My guess is in 20 years it will be difficult to find on store shelves, other than as a self-defense choice.

It's highly effective on feral pig populations.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

this is probably one of the most asinine replies to a choice in ammo.you go down south alot of guys down south who drive use buckshot and alot of guys use buckshot because it is deadly and it works.every deer I've dropped the hammer in with buckshot was dead before it hit the ground because I know my weapon and it's limitations.it's a close range round that's proven itself for many years.I don't wanna hear the number of deer lost because of buckshot because theirs many deer killed or lost with all types of ammo or arrows it has nothing to do with the ammo it's the person using it and knowing it's limitations.

I don't know much about either gun but if you plan on hunting with one, you should try to hit the range with a variety of buckshot for each gun to see which patterns best before taking it afield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alot.of gun clubs won't even let you drive using a slug you can't go wrong with buckshot just make sure you pattern the gun this year or before the season next year don't listen to the naysayers half of them talk out the wazoo and probably haven't killed deer believe me it works and is deadly

A horse & buggy is "effective" as getting you from point A to point B too. A handsaw is "effective" at cutting down trees, but I prefer a chainsaw.  People can choose to accept reality and adapt, or not.  It's a free country.

Again, there's a reason why buckshot sales for deer hunting decline every year, and the alternatives have gained that sales share.  That's just the reality of what's happening.