IGNORED

Need advice on shotgun for deer

Is there readily-available documentation (links, charts, graphs) that illustrate the decline in the use of buckshot?  Could you also break it down further for those with reading comprehension issues that link it to improved slug/slug gun technology as opposed to just a decline in hunter participation?  Many thanks.

The amount of hunters that I know that have abandoned buckshot all together is self evident enough for me          

And I had posted the contrary to what I have witnessed, as have others.  So, in reality, as it goes for this thread, the argument is useless.  It wasn't you, but another poster wrote, somewhat matter-of-factly, some remarks about buckshot and users of buckshot.  So its sort of a put up or shut up thing .............

Edited by LittleM

And I had posted the contrary to what I have witnessed, as have others.  So, in reality, as it goes for this thread, the argument is useless.  It wasn't you, but another poster wrote, somewhat matter-of-factly, some remarks about buckshot and users of buckshot.  So its sort of a put up or shut up thing .............

Yea guess it is a useless argument... end of thread

"But there's absolutely no point "limiting" yourself to close distances with buckshot when you can use sabots and greatly expand your range, as well as not ruining a hell of a lot more meat."

.. No Point?..  There is "no point" in buying a scope just so I can use slugs to shoot deer at close range. Like I said, I think it's ridiculous.. again,  Why?. 1) Buck shot works fine or even BETTER WITH OUT A SCOPE.. 2).. Even if I were to use slugs I DONT NEED A SCOPE to shoot at the ranges I expect to take a deer...3) I don't NEED to expand my range in the woods because a) its usually impractical to shoot over 60 yards given the vegetation and B) I have no problem getting within buck shot range.. Now if you're talking edge hunting over a field, I have no argument.. But that's not how I hunt sooo...

I bet U cant wait till they come out with an IPhone app that lets you shoot game while siting at home eating dinner..  Just pull up the app, scan the area and remotely activate a pre positioned weapon by double tapping the phone screen...Then u can laugh at all us "old" fellers over 50 out there doing what U consider the Old fashioned or out dated way..

:D

Is there readily-available documentation (links, charts, graphs) that illustrate the decline in the use of buckshot?  Could you also break it down further for those with reading comprehension issues that link it to improved slug/slug gun technology as opposed to just a decline in hunter participation?  Many thanks.

Well, as Smoking Gun noted, a number of states have banned it (which is basically a "we hold these truths to be self-evident" form of obvious documentation for a decrease to begin with), which has partially led to a decline.  And I have read about the sales decline in the same climate as increasing alternative sales (slugs & sabots).  In terms of the slug/slug gun technology, however, that's not really the reason, it's the ammo technology that's advanced, not so much the weapon technology.  You can take a 50 year old popular shotgun model with a rifled barrel and still get exceptional results out to 100 yards and more.  

And I would completely refute your claim that most people are still using buckshot.  I know far more slug or sabot shooters, and while I do know admittedly a fare number who still use buckshot, they're all exactly as I mentioned before.....guys who generally only pick up guns during hunting season, and they tend to skew older.   My speculation is this makes sense I think since people are often "set in their ways" and dont adapt to change well, especially if it's something they've done their entire life.  I do know a few teenagers who use buckshot, but they learned to do so from their father, who learned from his father (who would be 97 years old were he still alive today; RIP).

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

The amount of hunters that I know that have abandoned buckshot all together is self evident enough for me

Yes, there's this too.  Circumstantial evidence, but if folks are being honest I think most would pretty much agree with the above.

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

There is "no point" in buying a scope just so I can use slugs to shoot deer at close range.

I bet U cant wait till they come out with an IPhone app that lets you shoot game while siting at home eating dinner..  Just pull up the app, scan the area and remotely activate a pre positioned weapon by double tapping the phone screen...Then u can laugh at all us "old" fellers over 50 out there doing what U consider the Old fashioned or out dated way..

I'm not sure why you're "anti-scope", but putting that aside, why would you need a scope to shoot slugs at close range?  I'm a little confused by that comment.

As for the Iphone app, someone already beat you to it, that technology actually exists (though I'm not sure if it's legal for hunting, I hope not).

Well, as Smoking Gun noted, a number of states have banned it (which is basically a "we hold these truths to be self-evident" form of obvious documentation for a decrease to begin with), which has partially led to a decline.  And I have read about the sales decline in the same climate as increasing alternative sales (slugs & sabots).  In terms of the slug/slug gun technology, however, that's not really the reason, it's the ammo technology that's advanced, not so much the weapon technology.  You can take a 50 year old popular shotgun model with a rifled barrel and still get exceptional results out to 100 yards and more.  

And I would completely refute your claim that most people are still using buckshot.  I know far more slug or sabot shooters, and while I do know admittedly a fare number who still use buckshot, they're all exactly as I mentioned before.....guys who generally only pick up guns during hunting season, and they tend to skew older.   My speculation is this makes sense I think since people are often "set in their ways" and dont adapt to change well, especially if it's something they've done their entire life.  I do know a few teenagers who use buckshot, but they learned to do so from their father, who learned from his father (who would be 97 years old were he still alive today; RIP).

I don't recall ever saying buckshot was banned.I can see maybe due to epa regulations them making alternatives like tungsten or steel because of lead poisoning.I've stated it's very popular still to this day esp down south Mid-Atlantic states and esp in South jersey with alot of deer clubs...you do realize many many deer clubs are still active and that's what they do use and there's still many solo hunters that do use buckshot.I'm going off my personal experience and knowledge in which I gave advice to the op use whatever he or she feels the need to use.they both have a place in the deer woods.I'm not buying into online stats or pie charts a bunch of book worms or Internet trolls come up with I'M GIVING ACTUAL EXPERIENCE.I've killed many and know many many hunters who still use buckshot and kill many many deer.like I've stated it's the hunter knowing his limitations and the ammo they're using.do you actually have facts to back up your claims is what I'm asking not a pie chart or my friends friends cousins brothers story.your own actual facts itself.

I don't recall ever saying buckshot was banned.

you do realize many many deer clubs are still active and that's what they do use

Your post #31.  You noted "all they can use" are slugs because of regulations - which is true in a number of states that have banned the use of buckshot on whitetail due to the number of deer that are crippled and/or mortally wounded and not recovered.

Yes I do realize that, I have already mentioned that in this thread.  I noted that the ONLY (literally) advantage buckshot has over sabots is on running whitetail, but that IMO that is an bad shot to take in the first place, which is part of what leads to the crippled and/or mortally wounded and not recovered deer, which leads to states banning buckshot.

Now it's time for the (few) people who are passionately in favor of buckshot instead of rifled sabots to explain why buckshot is a better choice!

I think this will be a much more interesting conversation.