IGNORED

Rage Broadheads.

I took two mature bucks with the original rage heads when they first came out. (2blade) The first shot was further back then I would have liked and I hoped that the rage saying of "making a bad shot better" would assist me. I let the deer go and backed out. We found him 40 yards from the point where I backed out. Inspection of the exit would was devastating to say the least and there was no way the animal could have taken such a hit, although further back. The next buck was taken with the rage extreme 2 blade and the deer went down within sight, although I did not get a pass through.

Those were the only times I used them before I changed heads for unknown reasons.  It was not by any means for poor performance. They did the job the two times I used them.

Jay - what year did you start using them? I was probably done with them before you ever started? It's possible the older versions had bad O-rings - I believe what Outdoorslife described is what happened to me.

I believe it was the 1st year they came out.. I'm a Broadhead freak. That's my favorite part of the preseason... looking at all the new broadheads. I used to try every new head that came out, but since rage, I switched to g5 montec, due to all the negative comments online.. stuck 2 in a row and went right back to rage figuring they were so good to me over the years why would I change. And I have not wounded another since. But now all this will bite me in the ass, so I'm scared to shoot another deer cause i feel like this time they won't open or they will deflect and I will lose a deer and get a big "I told you so" from 1000 guys on here lol

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

I prefer fixed heads. I started with Liberty heads from ABC, but didn't like the design. Now I use NAP Thunderheads and have no reason to change. They fly true, have a trocar tip and the blades are tough. They might not be fancy, but they are consistent and work well.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

- Mack

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot 6 deer using rage 2 and 3 blade heads. Every deer I hit I killed. Only one shot was a thru and thru. Lack of a blood trail can be an issue but I've been fortunate and never had one run farther the 50 yards. The entry wound has always been impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot them one season and killed both deer I shot. I was not impressed with them. I always shot 72 lbs and I prefer 2 holes in a deer. One I shot got a pass through and one I didn't. I've shot so many different heads fixed and mechanical. They work but the big thing that makes them the number one sold head is that they have tons of advertisements and top watched hunting shows endorsements. I know more than my share of deer lost with them by others. Too many...  I shoot Spitfire maxx heads and have had very good luck and have never had one fail to open. The other thing is a rage will give a good hole going in, if you get a exit hole it will not be near the size as going in cause of how the blades fold back after opening. Spitfire has a larger hole on the exit. Just shot my first bear in NJ this year and it was dead in 5 seconds in less than 30 yds. Main thing is shot placement with any broadhead.  

Shot placement is fore most, you can "throw a hatchet at'em" and still not kill it if not put where it counts.

Like I said, I've tried them I killed the only two deer I shot with them, but when I can't get a pass though at 10-15 yards? No good.

I went back to the G5Montecs, they have never failed to open, or pass through! Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I don't think alot of mechanicals do pass thru I've shot a few with the kill zones and maniacs and never got pass thru but they poured like a faucet and crashed within seconds in front of my very eyes

I think this is true. A lot of mechs dont get pass throughs. Its not simply the broadhead, although it does play a role of course. I think a lot of that has to do with guys using just enough grains per pound of draw weight on their arrows. Guys shooting mechs and lighter arrows for optimal flight/speed. Ive increased my arrow weight and its the best thing Ive done. I get more momentum/ke at 270fps than I do shooting a lighter arrow at 285/295 fps.

Almost every deer I shot with the dead ringer rampage did get a pass through though. When Ive used mechs, I used the 1 1/2" and not a 2" cut. I honestly believe that 1/2" makes a  huge difference in penetration. I also believe that the rampage design, having a cutting surface on the front of the blade, helps penetration vs other mechanicals. I could be wrong. I keep one in my quiver but prefer a fixed head undoubtedly. Ive gotten just as good blood trails on my 1 1/8" fixed blade vs a 1 1/2" or 2" cut. Not all the time. Sometimes, if everything goes right, a mechanical blood trail is so good stevie wonder could follow. I think that sometimes with a 2 blade big cut, it allows the exit hole to get clogged easier almost folding back on itself or with muscle,gut material etc. clogging it back up. No science behind that but just what Ive experienced.

Just added another one to my rage list..

Hard qtr away shot.

Original 2 blade cut on contact with o ring

Shot was 19 yards

Arrow entered just in front of left hind qtr and exited right behind shoulder. Arrow stayed in the deer, but exited..

Excellent blood trail, deer made it 30 yards

Found him like this

be23e8f6b4750e76577a8a3b80eb8cdb.jpg

Entry:

6922f3ee07c986b0917c925d72228c8d.jpg

Exit:52b1ba0d461d7edcf4c96080eec52047.jpg

Liver:

a8a23827acb66518b602786c034b2c34.jpg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Rage extreme knocked this guy down he went 15 yards no complete pass thru but definitely did the job in a hurry for my youngest nephew and his buddy they both got bucks the other day one on public and one on private land this one was killed with the rage. I really like seeing these kids well not kids they are in their 20's so involved in hunting these days it makes me glad I took the time when they were small to teach them about the outdoors. Know my nephews are like  gorillas they like to pick things up and put them down which really helps when I get my deer lol. I will be honest I tried to talk my nephews out of using rage and instead use fixed blade but all their friends use them and they have been getting the job done and that's what matters. 

IMG_1289.JPG

Nice! I shot a small doe this morning, hard quartering at 10 or so yards complete pass through arrow 6" into the ground and she ran pouring blood lees than 30 yards and crashed in sight, G 5 Montec, my favorite go to broadhead, a few passes on a whet stone and then ready for another deer, these heads are all new, but in the past I had one that had been through 8 deer till it hit a stone and broke off the point. Now that's streangth and value!!!!

Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.