IGNORED

Thumb release

Happy

I’m currently shooting a carter quickie strap release.  But I have been looking at some thumb releases like the carter, Stan and couple of other ones.  Just curios if anyone shoots a thumb release looking for some pro’s and con’s.  

My accuracy improved greatly when I moved to a thumb release and learned the execute the shot with back tension. You could though do that same with a wrist strap. I love that you can clip the release to the D loop. Doesn't get in the way and if a shot presents itself just grab it and come to full draw.

I am currently hunting with a Carter 1st choice but have tried various carters of the years. I'm bias, can't speak to the other manufacturers but love Carter.

Edited by kanigie

For target shooting a thumb release is a great tool . Allows super solid anchor and can use back tension to trigger the release .

IMO a thumb release isn't the best choice for hunting . For one reason only . That being if you need to shoot a shot quickly as in punching the release off it's harder to execute a good shot and maintain good form and follow through .

In that situation a trigger finger release allows a quicker shot without a total collapse of form .

I shoot a thumb release for everything else . Then switch to a good trigger or strap release to hunt.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

4 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

For target shooting a thumb release is a great tool . Allows super solid anchor and can use back tension to trigger the release .

IMO a thumb release isn't the best choice for hunting . For one reason only . That being if you need to shoot a shot quickly as in punching the release off it's harder to execute a good shot and maintain good form and follow through .

In that situation a trigger finger release allows a quicker shot without a total collapse of form .

I shoot a thumb release for everything else . Then switch to a good trigger or strap release to hunt.

With discipline and in a perfect world one would never punch a trigger but I get it in a hunting situation it happens. 

I agree with this guy 100%, use the wrist strap with trigger for hunting. You already have one of the best with the Carter. If you want to toy with a thumb style for 3d, etc. the Chocolate Addiction is very comfortable and goes off without any creep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

20 minutes ago, kanigie said:

With discipline and in a perfect world one would never punch a trigger but I get it in a hunting situation it happens. 

After all the years I have shot a thumb trigger the CORRECT way its a good chance I couldn't punch a thumb off LOL

My releases are set so fast most guys cant even put a finger on them without them going off too soon.

My squeeze is so dilibertly slow my finger actually turns white before the release goes off.

On a slow walking deer where you want the shot to go off at a precise moment its way easier to do so with a trigger finger release

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Livesintrees said:

I only shoot thumb triggers. Some are triggers. Some are resistance activated. And some are hinges. Once you shoot one you’ll never go back 

I saw in a picture you were shooting I believe a silverback?