IGNORED

Getting chicks today...

OK who's up for a Coop Building Party at DD's ?

The best thing is a bare floor. Scape all the poop into one spot then sweep it up. The thing you do not want in your Coop is moisture and poop is moist. A plywood floor works great. Scrape it up and clean it every 3 days or so. You want one Nest Box for every 4 Chickens. 12 Chickens 3 nest boxes. They will share. If you have the cash to lay out on material I will come help you build it. It's not hard. Only thing I need is Framing Nail Gun. I have all the others. (My son swiped mine).  Heres a materials list for a 4x4x8. 12 Chickens. I'm trying to do this without a pencil and paper

3sheets     1/2in Texture 111 Plywood

16        2x4x8 Doug Fir Studs

1     4x8  3/4in. Marine Grade Plywood  (floor)

2    26"x12' Suntuff Plastic Roof Panels w/ ridgecap

This will get it built and you can finish up the inside any way you want. We can build the Roof Panels in a frame to make them removable if you want to. It will make cleaning a lot easier. Just add some 1x2's for framing.

The Roof Panels come in a lot of colors. You want the sun to get in but not so much in the summer. I like the dark green myself. The Perches you need right away but the nest boxes can wait.

There is nothing better in this world than an Egg from a free range Chicken. If you lock them up every night the Fox won't get them. They will go in by themselves once they claim a Perch inside.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Thanks so much for everyone's info. I got 10 chicks, some barred rocks, americaunas, delawares, gold sex links and Rhode Island's. We're getting a plan in motion now for a coop. I think we might build a 6x8 coop with a 6x12 run for a total of 6x20. I really like the suntuff roof panels, as long as it comes out cheaper than sheathing and shingles. We're gonna go big in case of future additions to the flock. And Stevo I really do appreciate the offer for the help, but between me, my dad who made a living as a rough framer, and my uncle who is also a home builder, and his 17 year old son, I think we can manage. If 4 grown men can't tackle a chicken coop then we have more issues than I thought....

IMG_0648.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

Red Star and all the red breeds for that matter lay nice large Brown eggs and are very  docile. They are great if you have kids as they can pick them right up they don't run away. If you don't let them free range you might as well get your Eggs at Acme. Just be out there to put them away at night and let them out in the morning and your all set

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them