IGNORED

DIY Baby Tarpon on the fly

NJNewbie

I spent some time in Puerto Rico this weekend, was able to stay for a few days after my work trip. I ended up doing a good bit of fishing. 

I stayed in Palmas del mar in the south eastern part of the island. Basically a big golf community with a beach and marina. 

Brought the 10wt fly rod with me and figured i would handicap myself a bit this trip and leave the spinning gear home. 

Day 1 I found what looked like bones and small barracuda cruising the  flats. Got a couple of cast in, even felt like i painted one on the nose, but ended up either spooking them, or getting a chase with no bite. 

Day 2 i met some locals who advised me to try for tarpon on the golf course ponds. I couldn't find any on the bigger ponds, but I found a small creek that led out to the ocean and 2nd cast got smacked by this little guy. This is actually the 5th or 6th Tarpon I've hooked, and the first one I've ever landed(the first 5 were much bigger and on different trips with spinning gear). Ended up getting a few more takes but couldn't stick any, great time! 

tarpon.jpg

I have caught many, many big Tarpon (200lbs+). I have ALWAYS wanted to catch one this size on a fly...well done!!!  You know, Tarpon average (or was) that you landed 1 for every 10 hooked. 

I dont need another rod- have a basement full of fly rods from past 35 years but that is a cool looking rod- with that fighting butt almost a switch rod influence to it and for a 10 wgt the blank looks thin- must be a sweet 10wgt- great catch