IGNORED

Moving to WY…anyone ever fish out west?

Ringtail

3 hours ago, Ringtail said:

I found out this week that I got hired for a job out in Yellowstone National Park and will be relocating in May! Not a permanent gig, but I will be out there for their full season living in the park. My weekly schedule will be 4 days of work and 3 consecutive days off, giving me lots of time to explore the park. I consider myself a novice at freshwater fishing, but would like to bring some gear out with me and give it a shot. Anyone ever fish out west before and have any recommendations on what to bring? Im assuming trout is the big thing out there?

Gotta ask what kind of job is it. fire watch? environmental protection?

My older brother lives near the Park in Montana. He is an avid fly fisherman. The absolute best trout fishing with fly rods is in mid-September- early November. It is during this time that the big trout migrate up into the rivers from Yellowstone Lake to spawn. Some days are in the single digits, and some days in the 50's. Grizzly bears, rutting bull elk, and bison are a big concern while fishing from the bank in Yellowstone. He has had scary moments with all three!

10 hours ago, trapoholic said:

My older brother lives near the Park in Montana. He is an avid fly fisherman. The absolute best trout fishing with fly rods is in mid-September- early November. It is during this time that the big trout migrate up into the rivers from Yellowstone Lake to spawn. Some days are in the single digits, and some days in the 50's. Grizzly bears, rutting bull elk, and bison are a big concern while fishing from the bank in Yellowstone. He has had scary moments with all three!

Add Shiras moose to that list.  Agreed, keep your head on a swivel. 

I dunked around a few rivers in the park but slough creek at the 2nd and 3rd meadows were the best.

Outside the park I fished the green, new fork, the snake and flat creek.

If I was going out there I’d bring an 8 weight for a streamer rod and a 5 or 6 for a dry and nymph rod.

Good set of waders, wading jacket, net and pack. You can go out there with basic streamers (don’t be afraid to go big) get your nymphs and drys from a local shop once you get out there