IGNORED

What else do I need?

Farmingdales Finest

I picked up my CVA Optima I won at a dinner today. Below is what I got at Cheyenne. When I got home I mounted the Burris Scope I had using the levels I use for tuning a bow as well as a small household level   

I know I will need a case but they didn’t have the CVA one I wanted. I forgot to look for a sling and speed loaders for ease while hunting.

What else am I missing?

4C795263-4914-4CCC-8773-35B18F5C4FB7.jpeg

7F278F34-233A-444A-917E-8C54FD56AB22.jpeg

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

Get a good cleaning rod. The rod you get with today's optimas are not for cleaning. They're different rods than what they used to give out. Go get a good cleaning rod. The rod you get with the gun i only plan on using out in the field if I need to. I got a really good cleaning rod that I use for loading too.

I'll go find the link that I bought from muzzle-loaders.com.

I forgot to put the range rod in the picture.  Whoops. 

Elite Pure, CBE Tek Hybrid, 10" B-Stinger stabilizer, Limbdriver rest , Alpine Soft Loc 5 Quiver, Muzzy 100 4 bld, Slick Trick Viper Trick Red Head Gator broadheads, Beman ICS Hunter 400 28" ,Scott Quick Shot release, Vortex 8.5X50 Vultures  :cheers:

4 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Lifetime range rod... You can get the CVA branded one for a few dollars more, but I dunno if it is any different from the ml.com one

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/all/products/muzzleloader-lifetime-range-rod-mz1633

I bought a CVA seems to be solid fiberglass or polymer  just forgot to include it in the photo. It was like $19.

For cleaning the barrel, I bought this (I did a bunch of research in this, got lots of recommendations on this)...

Windex with vinegar: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Windex-with-Vinegar-Glass-Cleaner-Spray-Bottle-32-fl-oz/400486496

Also, this parts soaker is really good. Just put your breach plug and little parts in the jar and let it sit for a little bit. Cleans it real good. Has a little lifter that lets you take the parts out easily.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/muzzleloader-oils-solvents/products/cva-barrel-blaster-parts-soaker-ac1686

And while I haven't had any problems with the breach plug getting stuck, I still bought this just as a fail safe. Anti-sieze stick:

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/muzzleloader-oils-solvents/products/cvatm-anti-seize-stick-17-gram-tube

Oh, and depending on how often you shoot and how often you clean, you're going to want more patches. I go through a ton just on the range, because after every shot I run a few patches sprayed with that Windex down the barrel, and then run a couple dry patches. It seems like I'm going through at least 10 patches after every shot LOL

1 minute ago, mazzgolf said:

For cleaning the barrel, I bought this (I did a bunch of research in this, got lots of recommendations on this)...

Windex with vinegar: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Windex-with-Vinegar-Glass-Cleaner-Spray-Bottle-32-fl-oz/400486496

Also, this parts soaker is really good. Just put your breach plug and little parts in the jar and let it sit for a little bit. Cleans it real good. Has a little lifter that lets you take the parts out easily.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/muzzleloader-oils-solvents/products/cva-barrel-blaster-parts-soaker-ac1686

And while I haven't had any problems with the breach plug getting stuck, I still bought this just as a fail safe. Anti-sieze stick:

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/muzzleloader-oils-solvents/products/cvatm-anti-seize-stick-17-gram-tube

Thanks...I saw the parts soaker and meant to pick it up only to start talking with someone and forgot. I have anti seize in the cleaning kit and  read about window cleaner for cleaning the barrel but what i read before was a combo of windshield washer and dawn.

I could name more stuff but it would just be optional things. When I got my muzzleloader I must have spent a couple hundred at least on cleaning supplies and other things. Things like: breach plug brush, breech plug circular cleaning wire brush tool, breach plug clean out tool (the little pick for the small hole in the plug), rust prevent patches, etc etc. 

I basically just went through muzzle-loader.com's list of cleaning supplies and bought a bunch of things off of that list. But most of it you don't really need, it just makes cleaning easier.

Some folks here put me onto these things... Black finger cots (little condoms for your gun :happy:). If you plan on hunting with your muzzleloader, you might want to get some to put over the muzzle of the gun went out in the field, especially if it's expected to rain. You don't want water getting down the barrel and getting the pellets or powder wet. You could use some for rifles and shotguns too, I suppose, to keep debris from getting down the barrel while walking through the woods. I bought a pack of black finger cots on Amazon ... Something like 200 for $7. (I actually saw some muzzleloader-branded bag of black finger cots for some ridiculous price of something like 10 for $15).

1 minute ago, Rmeyers1295 said:

Throw away that triple 7. And get blackthorn 209!

They didn’t have any. Also pretty much everything I have read is saying it’s pretty much unavailable most places and T7 was what most said to use.