IGNORED

Any Pennsy dove hunting info out there?

Bonefreak

With my new found time I want to get back to my high school roots of pass shooting doves in Pennsy….since the People’s Republic Of NJ is the only state that still has this tasty gamebird off limits to hunters!!  Ugh  

Reminder:  first policy when I’m governor is to legalize dove huntin!!  Lol

I was thinking of checking out the public lands up near Dingmans Ferry…but I remember hearing the PA Game Commission has done some habitat management work for doves out near Lancaster or somewhere near that area. Anyone been after these fast flying tasty gamebirds in recent years??

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

That's something I have wanted to do --- need alot of ammo from what I hear.. lots of shooting. Of course, I wouldn't know a dove from a tweety bird so I'd most likely be illegal shooting anything I saw fly by lol

This reminds me of a video I saw sometime ago. Some hunters were hunting railbirds (snipe) and had a whole load of killdeer. The look on the wardens face was priceless!

1 hour ago, DonW said:

This reminds me of a video I saw sometime ago. Some hunters were hunting railbirds (snipe) and had a whole load of killdeer. The look on the wardens face was priceless!

As they say, "There but for the grace of God go I". :rofl:

I actually looked into possibly doing some hunting of those lesser hunted species (rail, snipe, gallinule, coot) this year. Just a couple weeks ago I was reading up on them and looked up rail and snipe (for one thing trying to figure out what the difference is!)  and noticing how close they look to woodcock and other birds, I'm like.. meeeeehhh.... let me look into coot.. I can at least easily identify them :) And the limit is 15! ;) 

Seriously, if anyone knows a coot spot and wants someone to join them, ping me :callme: :D

34 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

As they say, "There but for the grace of God go I". :rofl:

I actually looked into possibly doing some hunting of those lesser hunted species (rail, snipe, gallinule, coot) this year. Just a couple weeks ago I was reading up on them and looked up rail and snipe (for one thing trying to figure out what the difference is!)  and noticing how close they look to woodcock and other birds, I'm like.. meeeeehhh.... let me look into coot.. I can at least easily identify them :) And the limit is 15! ;) 

Seriously, if anyone knows a coot spot and wants someone to join them, ping me :callme: :D

Did a first time rail hunt last September and it was fun and interesting!  Guide scoots you thru the marsh and the lil rails run along the top of the grasses and flush!!  I would do it again but the meat obtained proved to be not very economical of an expensive day!

IMG_7095.png

IMG_7093.png

IMG_7090.png

IMG_7087.png

IMG_7089.png

IMG_7092.png

8 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

With my new found time I want to get back to my high school roots of pass shooting doves in Pennsy….since the People’s Republic Of NJ is the only state that still has this tasty gamebird off limits to hunters!!  Ugh  

Reminder:  first policy when I’m governor is to legalize dove huntin!!  Lol

I was thinking of checking out the public lands up near Dingmans Ferry…but I remember hearing the PA Game Commission has done some habitat management work for doves out near Lancaster or somewhere near that area. Anyone been after these fast flying tasty gamebirds in recent years??

Couple decades ago (young and dumb) when I figured I could do anything I wanted. I reached out to NJ fish and game. At the time you had to have stamp to harvest woodcock. Think it was $5. I presented them with an idea about a dove hunt. I had spreadsheets, data, etc. The idea of issuing a $10 stamp. Had numbers, revenue, etc. 

While the couple people I spoke with appreciated my effort they laughed at me. They basically said to change the status from a songbird to a gamebird I would have to fight the Audubon society.  I did send an email to someone in the AS and again was laughed  at and told that they weren't going change anything so I could "murder" a bird. 

I replied... but they're delicious! 

Never heard back.  LOL