IGNORED

Ice Fishing Gear

buckfever1974

Just started out last year with a few tip ups and did well meeting up with a buddy who had some more then I did. Was wondering if anyone would be selling a gas auger or hand one for that matter. May be interested in tip ups or a shanty. Kids and I had a blast last year and they keep asking when its supposed to get cold. Not sure what used prices are but let me know what u have. Located in Rockaway, NJ.

Happy Holidays.

At this rate I may have to travel to VT or something for some ice.  It's got to get cold at some point...right?

If we ever do get ice, I want to put together a kids meet up to show them how much fun it can be.  Talk more on that when I can skim a stone across something hard rather then having the stone sink.

BTW.  Thanks to Mark for getting us started.......

photo 1 (5).jpg

photo 2 (5).jpg

photo 3 (2).jpg

photo 4.jpg

Edited by BowhunterNJ

El Nino  winter is gonna be a bust this year. Save your money and borrow my stuff. Lake temps are still in the 50s. lol my daughter wants to go wake boarding this weekend. ( wetsuit of course). We are still pulling bass and walleyes in shallow water. VT won't have much ice or snow for that matter either. it is equally as warm up there. 

I honestly think it could be one of those winters where we have very little, if any safe ice.  If you ever see a good deal on a good used gas auger, grab it though, I have my dad's old Jiffy with 8" cut that is 41 years old, and still runs like a boss.  Tip-ups are cheap - just look for them on sale... put 50 yards of 50lb black Dacron on them, then slide a button on the end, then tie a good swivel.  3 feet of 10-15lb mono below that, and some size 6 wide gap hooks, big shiners and you are all set. I have forever used the sliding button method to mark my depth. I always seem to be 6" to 24" off the bottom the places I fish.  I also set up one with lighter line and smaller hooks for fathead minnows.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

A strong El Nino year like this means wet, but warm winters for the East coast.  Like rgw said, there will be a brief window on some smaller lakes and ponds, but ice fishing this winter is likely a bust for the most part.  That said, it is one of my daughter's favorite things to do.  When she was younger, she would cry as we pulled the tip ups to go home just before dark.  I swear she'd still be out there if I didn't take her home.... 

i guess now is the time to buy ice fishing gear, as prices might be lower, and hope for ice next year. i do remember this past Feb. i was on my way to my taxidermist so i stopped at round valley, there was a lot of ice and a lot of fisherman. by the way, nice pictures :up:

I've been looking at flying to Tobin lake and Last Mountain in Saskatchewan over the last few days,  only place that has ice.  I checked Devils Lake in North Dakota today for a quick trip and there is little to no ice there either. I also have a 10 day trip planned North of us in March and I am hoping we have ice soon.  We caught 350-400 white perch and crappie last weekend (released all) and it still does little for an ice fisherman!  I pray for cold temperatures soon! I also may have plenty of good condition tip ups if your interested - they probably have my name written on them though, willing to sell for great price, just tell me how many you need.  lol. Great pics with the kids!