IGNORED

BEAR HUNT

FRANKIED

On 8/11/2023 at 1:51 PM, mazzgolf said:

The thing that I don't understand is - why did they again restrict it to a 5-year plan? Is there something written in the statutes where a submitted bear management plan must be 5 years? Can't they just put it in the game laws like everything else and make it whatever they want? We don't go through this with any other game animal.

Because now we have to go through this rigmarole  all over again in 5 years. :wacko:

I would like to know the answer as well.  Managerialism perpetuates activities like reviewing progress every so often even though it is obviously not needed.

bearfall.jpg

Edited by tick trawler

On 8/11/2023 at 1:51 PM, mazzgolf said:

The thing that I don't understand is - why did they again restrict it to a 5-year plan? Is there something written in the statutes where a submitted bear management plan must be 5 years? Can't they just put it in the game laws like everything else and make it whatever they want? We don't go through this with any other game animal.

Because now we have to go through this rigmarole  all over again in 5 years. :wacko:

It will never become a game animal unfortunately. I don’t recall which of the court cases it was, I want to say 2003, but in their decision, however it was worded, would forever (unless challenged in court) keep the system the way it is, with a bear management plan. So unfortunately we are stuck with the terrible system. 

Interesting.. I never saw these before... here's all the Bear documentation DFW put out -- I guess this was part of the promise to the anti-bear hunt people

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/bears/publications-and-materials/

Pamphlet for kids (wish they would mention hunting alongside of hiking and camping, but I'm assuming the anti-hunting group produced this, I guess "hunting" is a four-letter word that must not be spoken in front of kids):

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/wp-content/uploads/njfw/bearfacts_kids_guide.pdf

"Black bears are now recognized as an important natural resource in New Jersey and part of the state’s natural heritage . . . People can see bears in forests when they are hiking and camping, and some people even see bears in their yards."

I guess it was too much to say "Hunting of bears is a part of NJ's natural heritage, and the use of this natural resource's meat and hide is important to many people."

Here's a good doc: "An Evalutation of Black Bear Management Options": https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/wp-content/uploads/njfw/mgtoptionseval_nebbtc.pdf