IGNORED

An affordable AR: Ruger AR-556

BowhunterNJ

Just got back from Cherry Ridge to see how .223 and 5.56 feed through this gun.  No problems whatsoever.  Very, very easy gun to shoot.  I didn't want to spend too much time mucking around, so I loaded 4 of those Magpul magazines and blew through 40 rounds, 20 of .223 and 20 of 5.56.  I shot standing up at a target 50-yards away.  My aim wasn't great, but I didn't spend any time sighting it in, so I'm not worried about it.  I also wasn't shooting from a bench, and was happing that I was hitting the target.  There is a noticeable different in the recoil between the two if you're paying attention.  5.56 has slightly more recoil, but nothing the shooter couldn't handle.  The stock absorbs the recoil nicely, and it's a really, really fun gun to shoot.

The original metal magazine that came with the gun was stamped with ASC, and I don't like the magazine at all.  Toward the back where one of the ribs on the mag are the brass catches when I'm loading it, and I think the outside of the cartridge casing gets scraped as it cycles through the magazine.  I'm glad I got the Magpul 10-round magazines, they performed flawlessly (I bought 7 because the price was right).  I'll probably get rid of the ASC, and anyone here is welcome to it.

I have a MINOX ZV 3 3-9X40 RIFLESCOPE on order from CamoFire that I'm going to mount to the rail.  Once I get that on there I'll bench sight the rifle in at 100-yards and attach my Harris bipod to it for varmint season in Feb.

Overall, fun gun to shoot and out-of-the-box very handy at 50-yards.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

• 1 month later...

Finished mounting the scope on my AR-556.  Crappy photo, but you get the idea:

IMG_1089.jpg

So I had to go to the range to sight it in and feed some rounds through it.  This is what I got at 100 yards after sighting in the scope.

IMG_1103.jpg

Now I'm ready to go out and call in some predators next weekend.  And it's a long weekend, so I get to sit for two days!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

MINOX ZV 3 3-9X40 RIFLESCOPE.  Got it from CamoFire for $142 shipped.  They have a X50 that is about $20 more.  I had already ordered the 40 and didn't feel like dealing with trying to get rid of the 40 and being stuck with two scopes.

​It's a great scope for the price.  I didn't want to spend a lot, but I wanted something good out to 100 yards.  This fits the bill.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Finished mounting the scope on my AR-556.  Crappy photo, but you get the idea:

attachicon.gifIMG_1089.jpg

So I had to go to the range to sight it in and feed some rounds through it.  This is what I got at 100 yards after sighting in the scope.

attachicon.gifIMG_1103.jpg

Now I'm ready to go out and call in some predators next weekend.  And it's a long weekend, so I get to sit for two days!

I never got into the predator hunting much.What caliber is legal for NJ predator hunting. I have the same gun

www.liftxrentals.com

I never got into the predator hunting much.What caliber is legal for NJ predator hunting. I have the same gun

Pg. 60 of the digest says that .17-.25 caliber centerfire rifles are legal.  Maximum 80 grain bullet.  You need a coyote/fox permit, which is $2.  Season ends March 15.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

• 6 months later...