IGNORED

An affordable AR: Ruger AR-556

BowhunterNJ

Any thoughts on this rifle as a varmint gun? It's the calliber I was looking for, but I'm concerned about the 16" barrel and holding groups out to 200 yards. I was reading things like 1-1.5 MOA from some reviews.

check the rate of twist of the rifling.  certain rates shoot certain weight bullets better than others.  my rifle likes 55 - 60 grain bullets shooting 1 in 9" (i think that's what it is, haven't looked in a while).  i got around 1" 5 shot groups shooting 55 grain factory hornady vmax bullets.  slightly better shooting reloaded 60 grain vmax bullets, 22.9 grains of H335. i wouldn't hesitate to use this on ground hogs 200 yards or under.

The new Ruger?

Yep, going to grab the Ruger AR-556 Model 8502.

I was thinking about getting the Model 8500 and pinning the stock just to have the option to have a collapsible stock if that ban ever got lifted here.

Will talk to the gun shop about it tonight, but I have an 8502 set aside to get tonight.

Going to see what kind of price I can get on a Savage 220 as well.

Yep, going to grab the Ruger AR-556 Model 8502.

I was thinking about getting the Model 8500 and pinning the stock just to have the option to have a collapsible stock if that ban ever got lifted here.

Will talk to the gun shop about it tonight, but I have an 8502 set aside to get tonight.

Going to see what kind of price I can get on a Savage 220 as well.

Nice, good luck with it!  You can always get a replacement stock or unpin the original IF the ban ever gets lifted. I never thought I would enjoy shooting an AR but man they are fun to shoot. good accuracy can be had with good ammo.  wolf ammo was all over the place out of my rifle.  dirty too.  hornady costs a little more but worth it if you are going for tight groups.  enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback. My longest shot won't be further than 200 yards, so I'm not too worried about accuracy past that. Twist on the barrel is 1:8, and all reviews say it'll do a great job from 45g to 77g. My concern was the short 16" barrel as I'm used to longer 21"-28" barrels and the accuracy you get from those.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Thanks for the feedback. My longest shot won't be further than 200 yards, so I'm not too worried about accuracy past that. Twist on the barrel is 1:8, and all reviews say it'll do a great job from 45g to 77g. My concern was the short 16" barrel as I'm used to longer 21"-28" barrels and the accuracy you get from those.

We absolutely give up some accuracy with shorter barrels, but it appears 200 yards will still be very doable with an AR for chucks and similar sized varmints.  If you're worried, maybe go up to the .308/7.62 round.  

@BnB, I have a Rem 700 XCR II in .30-06 for states friendlier than NJ. I was thinking of a 7.62 AR, but went with the 5.56 because I'm looking for a varmint gun for Feb/Mar predator season. I'm looking to whack some yotes and foxes shooting down into the valley siting on a ridge. I figure I'll be about 60'-100' up and shooting out between 80- and 140- yards. I need to nerd out and calculate the theoretical flight path and trajectory to get the shooting distance.

@BHNJ, I have Harris bipods for the .30-06 and a shooting stick, so that'll help with accuracy. One thing to note about the AR-556 that I read was that it doesn't have a front strap attachment, which is where the Harris would attach. So that's something I need to investigate adding because I don't want to spring for another set of bipods.

Thanks for posting the inexpensive scope. I'm sure my FFL will try to sell me one of his, and I'm okay with that. No harm in talking about what I'm shooting and what I'm shooting it with.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Nice!  I went to my FFL today to start the transfer process.  Will probably take a week to get it.  Now I've got to go out and get 1,000 rounds of 5.56/.223 plus a few extra mags because I hate having to stop shooting to reload.

Anyone got a recommendation on 15-round AR magazines?

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.