IGNORED

Rainy weekend Olive all'ascolana

DJ0808

Took advantage of a rainy weekend and made a huge batch of Olive all'ascolana. It's an Italian appetizer that consists of big green olives stuffed with meat, breaded then deep fried. Growing up my grandmother would always make them for holidays and other special meals. 

Browned a chunk of steak and a boneless pork chop then braised in a tomato and basil pasta sauce. While this was cooking I picked the pimento out of about 260 Spanish Queen olives. Let the meat cool then ran thru a meat grinder, mixed with some grated Parmesan and a little pasta sauce to make a paste, then stuffed the olives using a cake decorating kit. Tossed the stuffed olives in flour, then an egg/milk dredge and breaded with Italian bread crumbs.

I fried up a few to snack on, the other 20 dozen got vacuum packed and frozen. It's a bit of a tedious process so I'm glad I made a huge batch that will last for a few months.

PXL_20230430_190849680.jpg.b00965c7aa6494088083ab8a20616050.jpg

14 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Sounds fantastic...never had before!

Same-Looks awesome @DJ0808.

Definitely going to try and make these. Only I have zero patience. No way am I taking the pimentos out of olives in a million years. (Nice work @DJ0808) Going to use big Sicilian green olives.....

Green Sicilian Pitted Olives – Teitel Brothers

Edited by LPJR

14 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Same-Looks awesome @DJ0808.

Definitely going to try and make these. Only I have zero patience. No way am I taking the pimentos out of olives in a million years. (Nice work @DJ0808) Going to use big Sicilian green olives.....

Green Sicilian Pitted Olives – Teitel Brothers

That would work too,plus you won't be stuck with 2 cups worth of pimentos and trying to figure out recipes to use them in besides yellow rice 😂 

1 minute ago, LPJR said:

Actually going to make a TON of these for one of my next get togethers........

Just remember on the deep fry the stuffing is already cooked so you're really just frying up the breading on the outside and reheating the stuffed olives. Usually 2-4 minutes depending on if they're frozen or thawed in 350F oil is enough. You can also pan fry them like a cutlet in a little bit of oil, just have to turn them as they cook.

6 minutes ago, DJ0808 said:

Perhaps I'll bring a few dozen up as door prizes 😀

Yes sir!  THIS ^^^^^^^^^ is why tons of tree work gets accomplished here while everyone has a good time........ SOME GREAT EATS/FOOD ALWAYS TO BE HAD AFTERWARDS 

Edited by LPJR