IGNORED

Breaking news - Ely Deer Processing is BACK for NJ hunters!

rgw

26 minutes ago, Bad64chevelle said:

I see that it says cwd in there but I was originally under the assumption that it was because of ehd. I guess I was wrong . 

All of this craziness is due to CWD. According to what is coming out of fish and wildlife scientists, CWD is hard to eradicate once an area is infected due to the prions being so hard to destroy. Anytime you hear about hysteria such as you can't bring a full carcass across state lines or you must quarter/bone out deer before bringing it somewhere, that paranoia is due to CWD.

50 minutes ago, Bad64chevelle said:

I see that it says cwd in there but I was originally under the assumption that it was because of ehd. I guess I was wrong . 

EHD can’t transmit from one deer to another like CWD does. EHD is transmitted by midges. CWD by prions which can persist in the soils where deer gather for years if not decades. 

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I hadn’t realized PA had banned NJ deer from being processed in that state. NJ doesn’t yet have CWD whereas PA does. I understand NJ blocking most other states’ deer from coming to NJ “whole” for processing as many of those states have CWD issues. It’s becoming a PITA for those of us that hunt in states like NY which actually overcame their CWD issues, yet we can’t transport whole deer to NJ for butchering.  Now I either have to quarter out my deer in NY and butcher them myself or find a NY processor just across the line and use them. 

53 minutes ago, Bad64chevelle said:

It's all about the CWD. In 2020 I scouted Western Pa for elk/deer.  To say they take the CWD seriously is an understatement. I don't know if it was good or bad. Out there they were extremely cautious about CWD getting into the elk herd. So much so that if an elk left the "elk range" and went into an area that had known CWD in deer they didn't allow the elk to go back to the elk range.  They would kill it and give the meat to food banks. They took 3 different tests on my cow elk to test for CWD. It was negative. As of that season no elk had gotten CWD but I haven't checked recently.