IGNORED

HVAC Question

haggerty1616

Hey guys, question for those who might have more HVAC experience than I do (which is very limited). I live in a Cape Cod and the upstairs is always too cool in the winter or hot in the summer. My daughter is moving upstairs in a few weeks and I'm trying to find a solution to at least keep her room at a comfortable level. The other upstairs bedroom is my home office and I just throw a window unit in during the summer which works fine for my needs since I'm not up there all that much.

I have gotten some mini split quotes which are more than I was was planning for this project, but I'm not sure if there are any other somewhat economical solutions. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Edited by haggerty1616

1 hour ago, mike033089 said:

There may be a damper on the duct work. My parents would move the damper seasonally. One way would put more air upstairs in the summer as heat rises,opposite in the winter. 

That could be an issue still. I did play with them a bit, although I think the issue is that the duct run is that last on the line and might just not get enough force.

6 minutes ago, haggerty1616 said:

That could be an issue still. I did play with them a bit, although I think the issue is that the duct run is that last on the line and might just not get enough force.

Your probably correct.  I have seen people install what’s like a booster. Has a fan/motor in the duct to force air further.  I have no knowledge if that is actually a correct fix or just cutting corners. 

If there's dampers and that is last on the line you'll need to adjust the lines starting with the ones closest to the system down so that the air flow is increased up the line. There's a device to measure air flow that you place over the register. I can't recall the name of it but i only used it once.

however If there's no dampers they can be installed. 

This is a common problem. I live in a cape cod. And I'm an hvac guy lol.  The ductwork going upstairs is undersized I just threw in a minisplit as a supplement. It's the most economical to me. U can purchase the equipment yourself and look for a small contractor to install and just pay his labor I do small Jobs like that all the time. I usually get 1500 to 2k for the labor and the mini will run you 1000 to 1500 depending on brand. If I quote the whole install and providing equipment It's more but that's because I install Mitsubishi units.  Bigger compani3e won't bother with you but I find these types of jobs good slow time work. I don't really go to North jersey though.

Get a stand alone portable ac unit for that room

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

54 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Get a stand alone portable ac unit for that room

I had of them leftover from a commercial job and it worked great....but then the drain pan leaked thru and soaked my carpet!!! Moral of the story use a wet sensor if it's carpeted nearby!!

Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback. I do think long term the mini split is likely the best route to go. Although, my daughter needs to move upstairs quickly as we have a 2nd coming next month. With the higher cost for the mini/install I am thinking a portable ac/heat unit may be best. Then within the next month or so I can install a mini myself. I do have a lot of carpentry experience and renovated most of my 1st floor myself so feel I can do that and higher an electrician for the home run line.

Anyone have any do's or don't with what split unit to look into fir DIY? I do like the MR Cool as the lines come precharged making that aspect of things easier since i don't have hvac gauges and what not. I also heard their customer service can be a challenge but I guess that can be the case with a lot of companies.

1 hour ago, haggerty1616 said:

Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback. I do think long term the mini split is likely the best route to go. Although, my daughter needs to move upstairs quickly as we have a 2nd coming next month. With the higher cost for the mini/install I am thinking a portable ac/heat unit may be best. Then within the next month or so I can install a mini myself. I do have a lot of carpentry experience and renovated most of my 1st floor myself so feel I can do that and higher an electrician for the home run line.

Anyone have any do's or don't with what split unit to look into fir DIY? I do like the MR Cool as the lines come precharged making that aspect of things easier since i don't have hvac gauges and what not. I also heard their customer service can be a challenge but I guess that can be the case with a lot of companies.

All minis will come with the refrigerant in the condenser. U connect the lines run the wires and drains. It's easy. Honestly a trained monkey could probably do it 😂😂

@coyoteslayer - You would know better than me, but don't I then have to vacuum the line, braze or flare or whatever that means for the right size? Im sure I could get the proper vacuum and gauges for that part, but the brazing aspect idk if I would feel confident in.