IGNORED

I'm A Little Nervous

Tarhunt

Thats funny cause I asked my son the other day if he was Ok in the blind himself --  He's 15 and been hunting since 10

He says to me -- "why wouldn't I be"  --  I kept my mouth shut but in my head I'm thinking bears 

We just started on a new piece -- sunday was our 1st time out -- Tewksbury, the homeowner has talked to me about the bears and my son knows it

Anyway, I had bears on my mind but he didn't seem bothered and all was fine 

I hope to have the same nervous feelings as you one day knowing my duaghter will hopefully spend time with me in the woods! Shes only 5 months so I have some time to prep lol

Someone else said it but if you are nervous that means you care, are a good parent and have done everything you could to prepare him for this moment. He needs it and you do as well. Good luck and look at all of the positives you can. You know, like, he is gonna shoot a buck and make you drag it so in a few years when you shoot a bigger buck he will be big and strong by then to drag it out for you! haha

My son was only slightly older when he went solo.  Almost the same situation.  Big double-ladder that we had hunter together out of numerous times before.  Only I dropped him off at the field and slowly drove away to my spot, a little apprehensively.  The whole time I sat in my stand I could barely sit still.  I can remember the first text like it was yesterday - him to me at about 11:30 am:  "I just shot a buck and its a good one".  I could not drive back fast enough.  It was a solid 8-pointer.

Your son will be fine.  This is what you trained him for.  He will remember the lessons you taught him.  Though I was physically far from mine that day, we still had cell phone contact.  That does provide some peace of mind.  Good luck.

At 14 my parents couldn't wait to drop me off somewhere in the woods to shoot some squirrels by myself.  Little did they know I was climbing up in every stand I could find :rofl:   He'll be fine, but it's good to know there's still parents out there that care.  

Edited by B B

I would put a stand up in my yard and have him go up and down it and let him do everything he would do when hunting. I would go over some saftey but he will be fine and he just might kill a deer good luck don't bother him to much with that radeo that drove me nuts as a kid learning to hunt I shut it off a lot and my dad and uncle gauge got mad at me but they would talk and I would have deer walking around and it would scare them good luck dad